Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tina81980

Celiac Panel Testing

Hello..I took my daughter who will be 2 next month into the Dr. on friday because for the past month she has had recurrant (sp?) vomiting and diarrhea. They ran several different blood and stool tests including the celiac panel, I have recieved all the results except the test for celiac. My questions are how long does it usually take to get the results? And she has been wheat free for 2 months, she was recently Dx'ed with a wheat allergy so would these results be accurate if she has been wheat free? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If she has been wheat free, and her tests are negative, it does not rule out Celiac. The blood panel tests for an antibody response to gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, barley, malt, and some oats. If she is not eating these products, the body will stop making antibodies to them. (think of it like testing a diabetic....if their blood sugar level is ok, it means they are doing well on their diet; it doesn't mean they "don't" have diabetes anymore. if they eat poorly, their levels go crazy. Same with a Celiac....a dx'ed Celiac on the diet should NOT be positive on the blood panel...because they aren't eating gluten anymore. If they returned to eating gluten, their tests would become positive)

Tests usually take about 2 weeks or so.