Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mm&j

New Celiac And Have Questions

I was just diagnosed with Celiac after 8 months of many doctors. Finally, after I asked for my Vitamin D level to be checked, I got a diagnoses of Celiac disease when my D level was at 13. I had no digestive/intestinal symptoms, just severe fatique, terrible bone pain and weakness were the main symptoms. I'm happy to go gluten-free as I thought the worst and figured that I must have something extremely serious to feel so awful. I just was wondering how long it might be before feeling some kind of physical improvement. Thanks so much to anyone who responds. This is my first time on a message board.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome. I started to feel better immediately(brain fog and depression) but it was around 6 months that I hit a point where I felt my first significant level of overall healing. Fatigue has taken longer, maybe around 8 months it got much better. GI symptoms started to clear up immediately but I still have problems with dairy.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Welcome. I started to feel better immediately(brain fog and depression) but it was around 6 months that I hit a point where I felt my first significant level of overall healing. Fatigue has taken longer, maybe around 8 months it got much better. GI symptoms started to clear up immediately but I still have problems with dairy.

thanks for answering. It has been so long since I have felt well. It is nice to know there is some hope for healing...not having to go to bed before my 6 and 8 year old kids. Also glad to hear that the depression will begin to go away...I think having a DIAGNOSIS even has helped in that regard already.

I felt better almost immediately & felt significant improvement in 2 wks. I havn't felt this good in 20 yrs. :P If you read info in my signature, it goes into more detail. I actually have energy now & feel up to doing things like walking to do my shopping, gardening & trimming trees. I had been spending about 3-6 mos/yr unable to get out of my hospital bed & had become dependent on electric wheelchair. What a difference! I am continuing to improve.

Hope this helps & you are feeling better soon,

Deb

Misdiagnosed:

1979 w/ IBS (atypical) & idiopathic epilepsy

1980's acid reflux, chronic appendicitis

1991 chronic severe pain (thought to be related to injuries & compensation for injuries)

1995 gallbladder surgery

2003 exzema (not responsive to treatment)

2006 pain put me into electric wheelchair

Recurrent depression & anxiety (1975-2006)

Diagnosed w/ Celiac Disease Feb. 2007

I am currently off of all seizure & pain meds & doing GREAT! I am walking w/o even a cane. Sleeping in regular bed now w/ lots of pillows, but back on reflux meds.

Low Gluten since June 2006 (by accident) gluten-free since Feb. 2007

Other problem foods: Shellfish/iodine, dark green leafy vegtables, ie: spinach, tunip (greens as well as the root) I can cheat a little w/ spinach if it is raw. I love it in salads. Caffeine is also problem(fibroid cystic disease) & Nutrasweet causes me to have seizures.

Mother of 3. One w/ celiac disease & lactose intollerant, one non-sympomatic (allergic to blueberries, red #3 & red #33) & one thanking God he is adopted (though he is diabetic). I also care for toddler who is allergic to gluten, peanuts & soy. She is also lactose intolerant.

I felt better almost immediately & felt significant improvement in 2 wks. I havn't felt this good in 20 yrs. :P If you read info in my signature, it goes into more detail. I actually have energy now & feel up to doing things like walking to do my shopping, gardening & trimming trees. I had been spending about 3-6 mos/yr unable to get out of my hospital bed & had become dependent on electric wheelchair. What a difference! I am continuing to improve.

Thanks for responding. I can't believe that you felt as good as you do so soon. It gives me encouragement and hope that I will get to the gardening, walking the dog, etc....things that I used to love to do and now I just feel guilty because they are not getting done. Glad you are continuing to improve and thanks again for writing back.