This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Back From My Trip...

I3Daniel

I3Daniel Apprentice

Hello!

It's so nice to be back! Two thoughts were constantly running through my mind throughout my trip: Is Daniel doing ok/eating gluten/starving to death because there's no gluten-free food in the house and he can't figure out what to buy??? and What posts am I mising on the forum??? :)

I actually had a decent time, and Daniel did perfectly fine without me! He got the Kinnickinnick delivery while I was gone, so that worked out perfectly. And, he went to the grocery store and bought himself some gluten-free items. So, that's a relief! Also, while I was gone he got a script for a Celiac blood panel!!! (see my post from today in the Pre-Diagnosis forum) I talked to Daniel this morning, and he told me that he was bored while I was gone, so one day he picked up "Dangerous Grains" [which I just "happened" to leave lying around... ;) ] and he read most of it. I am soooo glad he did this. I really think if he does some of his own reading-up on this he will feel more of a sense of the seriousness of it all, and be able to identify more with others with this disease. He started talking about how over the weekend he was noticing how angry and irritable he was feeling because he just couldn't eat what he was hungry for. Then, he showed me a paragraph in the book that discusses the withdrawal symptoms one might experience when first going gluten-free, and he said he laughed when he read it because it described him perfectly (with the exception of shortness of breath). So, I'm glad he's taking more of an interest in learning more about the disease, and I'm glad (although I wish it weren't so) he is able to identify with some of the things in the research. It's nice to know it's not just all in my head, and hopefully we're on our way to a full recovery!

It's so nice that our families are starting to come around. What Daniel's brother did for him just makes me love and appreciate his family even more. And, I was surprised to hear my mom (the most skeptical, anti-doctors person ever) tell me that she was in a grocery store and saw a ton of books there on gluten-free! It's so nice to know that although they may not completely understand or agree with everything we're doing, they're at least on our side.

Being gone (even for such a short time) and coming home to Daniel really makes me see how much I love and appreciate him. I really want to make sure we do what's right for him, so he can be happy and healthy for the rest of his life.

If there's one thing I learned on my trip, it's NEVER TAKE DANIEL TO CHICAGO! :) It's a gluten metropolis!!!

Sami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Sami,

There are actually a ton of places I have eaten at in Chicago.

The restaurant group, "Let us Entertain You" has a number of restaurants around town and they brag about their customer service - I have to admit, they do a damn good job and I really enjoyed their Cafe Ba Reeba restaurant.

Also, as long as you pack some gluten free goodies/snacks, he should be fine. Otherwise, you will need to get a taxi to Wild Oats or Whole Foods (assuming you did not rent a car).

I also had good meals at Gibson's, Outback and PF chang's while I was there.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hello!

It's so nice to be back! Two thoughts were constantly running through my mind throughout my trip: Is Daniel doing ok/eating gluten/starving to death because there's no gluten-free food in the house and he can't figure out what to buy??? and What posts am I mising on the forum??? :)

I actually had a decent time, and Daniel did perfectly fine without me! He got the Kinnickinnick delivery while I was gone, so that worked out perfectly. And, he went to the grocery store and bought himself some gluten-free items. So, that's a relief! Also, while I was gone he got a script for a Celiac blood panel!!! (see my post from today in the Pre-Diagnosis forum) I talked to Daniel this morning, and he told me that he was bored while I was gone, so one day he picked up "Dangerous Grains" [which I just "happened" to leave lying around... ;) ] and he read most of it. I am soooo glad he did this. I really think if he does some of his own reading-up on this he will feel more of a sense of the seriousness of it all, and be able to identify more with others with this disease. He started talking about how over the weekend he was noticing how angry and irritable he was feeling because he just couldn't eat what he was hungry for. Then, he showed me a paragraph in the book that discusses the withdrawal symptoms one might experience when first going gluten-free, and he said he laughed when he read it because it described him perfectly (with the exception of shortness of breath). So, I'm glad he's taking more of an interest in learning more about the disease, and I'm glad (although I wish it weren't so) he is able to identify with some of the things in the research. It's nice to know it's not just all in my head, and hopefully we're on our way to a full recovery!

It's so nice that our families are starting to come around. What Daniel's brother did for him just makes me love and appreciate his family even more. And, I was surprised to hear my mom (the most skeptical, anti-doctors person ever) tell me that she was in a grocery store and saw a ton of books there on gluten-free! It's so nice to know that although they may not completely understand or agree with everything we're doing, they're at least on our side.

Being gone (even for such a short time) and coming home to Daniel really makes me see how much I love and appreciate him. I really want to make sure we do what's right for him, so he can be happy and healthy for the rest of his life.

If there's one thing I learned on my trip, it's NEVER TAKE DANIEL TO CHICAGO! :) It's a gluten metropolis!!!

Sami

Dear Sami,

I am so glad things went smoothly! :) That was wonderful he got the Kinnickinnick delivery while you were gone! It is difficult not being able to eat things you miss! You crave all of this food you cannot have! It is hard to deal with! :(

Reading that book will do him a lot of good. It makes us feel better knowing we are not hurting ourselves anymore. Eating gluten was killing us. That can be difficult to accept, but when you begin feeling better, that goes out the window! I did not really ever go into denial, because of that.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived