This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Travel In Italy Suggestions

Ariela

Ariela Newbie

Hi,

I am 29 years old and very early into my pregnancy. My husband and I will be traveling through Italy in the second half of May, and I was wondering if you anyone has any suggestions with regard to gluten-free restaurants in Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples, and also being pregnant in Italy. It's all new to me. What should I stay away from? Are unpasteurized dairy products easy to discern? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ariela

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ElizabethN Apprentice
Hi,

I am 29 years old and very early into my pregnancy. My husband and I will be traveling through Italy in the second half of May, and I was wondering if you anyone has any suggestions with regard to gluten-free restaurants in Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples, and also being pregnant in Italy. It's all new to me. What should I stay away from? Are unpasteurized dairy products easy to discern? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ariela

I spent a semester in Italy, and it was the best few months of my life. Though, when I was there I didn't realize I was gluten intolerant so after gorging myself with pasta and gelato (lactose intolerant as well) I spent a good deal of the mornings sick! THe great thing about Italy is that I have heard they have a lot more knowledge about celiac than most Americans. First off, I would print a few sheets of the celiac dining cards in Italian to give to waiters. If you are a meat eater, you should have quite a few choices. There are also big on salads. Another option is to shop at markets and eat a lot of fresh fruit and cheese. I am not sure about pasturization but I bet you could research that before you went over. And then look up how to say pasturization in Italian so you can double check!!

I ate at a lot of wonderful resturants in Florence and Rome but again, I didn't have my gluten free radar then so I couldn't recommend any of them. I would say that you get much better service if you escape the tourists "hot spots" and get off the beaten path. I think that you will find most of the people to be very friendly and accomodating. Another tip- you can buy gluten free food in the pharmacies there. I am not sure how good it is, but there are pharmacies all over the place in the larger cities so you should always be able to find something to eat.

In terms of just being pregnant- you shouldn't have any particular difficulties unless you are struggling from morning sickness. Make sure you have change in that case because most of the public restrooms are pay. And buy bottled water- frizzante is like club soda and might help settle your stomach. I myself would stock up on Bumblebars and Larabars because they are easy to pack and make a great snack- attempting to keep my stomach full did help a little bit with nausea.

Good luck, hopefully others will have some more helpful suggestions!! Especially in the travel section, I am guessing you can find some great tips. Have a great trip and congratulations.

Ariela Newbie

Elizabeth, thank you very much for your suggestions. I'm looking forward to the trip. I'm 6 weeks along now and don't have morning sickness. So I'm really hoping it will stay this way. :) My best friend was about 6 weeks pregnant this time last year when she and her husband traveled in Spain. She had horrible morning sickness and says that Madrid for her will forever be associated with throwing up.

DILIROTH Newbie

Hi Ariela,

We will also be in those spots in Rome in May as part of our cruise. It will be my first trip to Italy but I live in France and use a lot of gluten-free products from Italy b/c they are fantastic!!!

Here is a sight that will help you find restaurants:

Open Original Shared Link

Also, here is a sight where you can print out some restaurant cards:

Open Original Shared Link

Have fun - its going to be a fantastic trip!

Theresa

gfp Enthusiast
Hi,

Ariela

Wow, which order to give my experiences... Naples has two gluten-free resto's on the same street right down town.. both have gluten-free pizza and pasta, one requires you book in advance for the pizza... a third one has gluten-free beer!!! Different street...

I'll look up names later...

Rome has everything of course... for a splash up meal Alexando's (near the US embassay) is expensive but high class... however we found a pizzeria at polyclinica which was out of this world.... and astoundingly cheap.... looks a little garish perhaps but really really good...

If for some reason you are concerned about unpasturised diary (its your call) then you basically need to stay away from ALL meats and cheeses. that are not packged.. they are all stored together... and cut with the same implements and handled with the same hands...

In Italy you have a perfect right that implements used to handle gluten are not used on gluten-free food but you have absolutely no right whatsoever to not getting a pasturised cheese stored with a unpasturised one....

Ariela Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. What is polyclinica that you're referring to in Rome? Also, if you can think of the restaurant names in Naples that you liked, it will be most appreciated.

Regarding unpasteurized products, being pregnant, I don't think I have a choice but try to avoid them at all costs, as that is the general consensus amongst American doctors.

Ariela

Wow, which order to give my experiences... Naples has two gluten-free resto's on the same street right down town.. both have gluten-free pizza and pasta, one requires you book in advance for the pizza... a third one has gluten-free beer!!! Different street...

I'll look up names later...

Rome has everything of course... for a splash up meal Alexando's (near the US embassay) is expensive but high class... however we found a pizzeria at polyclinica which was out of this world.... and astoundingly cheap.... looks a little garish perhaps but really really good...

If for some reason you are concerned about unpasturised diary (its your call) then you basically need to stay away from ALL meats and cheeses. that are not packged.. they are all stored together... and cut with the same implements and handled with the same hands...

In Italy you have a perfect right that implements used to handle gluten are not used on gluten-free food but you have absolutely no right whatsoever to not getting a pasturised cheese stored with a unpasturised one....

Archived