This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Late Teething A Symptom?

Randi

Randi Newbie

I have a friend who has a two and half year old daughter who I think needs to be tested for celiac disease. I've spent several hours on the Internet researching celiac disease and there are enough red flags to make me suspicious. I don't want to get into the exact details because I think giving too much information would be overstepping a privacy boundary since I'm not a close relative.

So at this time I would just like to ask this question to the parents of children with celiac disease. Were they late getting their baby teeth? Ive seen information about baby teeth having poor enamel, being prone to cavities, and losing them later than usual, but I can't find anything about late teething. However, it seems like plausible symptom.

This little girl did not get her first baby tooth in until she was a year and four months. The pediatrician said they wouldn't consider this a problem up until two years of age, at which point it would be need to be investigated. She made it within that time frame, so that particular aspect of her development was never looked into.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I can't give you a deffenent yes or no answear. I have never heard of this being a symptom but that doesn't mean it could not be so. My youngest daughter was born 3 months early and because of this I was told that she would have very week enamal, could have spots on her teeth, and would be very prone to cavities but nothing was ever mentioned about them coming in late or anything of that sort.....she may be celiac but we are not sure.....just thought that the week enamal might be similar. All babies are different and many don't fit the text books. My daughter got her first 2 teeth at 11 months and waited almost 5 months before getting the next ones. My oldest daughter who is celiac had no issues with teeth coming in late but is already getting cavities. If she has symptoms of celiac other than this though I would erge mom to get her tested.

Byte Me Apprentice

That's a very interesting question. I was a late teether - I have no official diagnosis but I am definitely gluten intolerant if not celiac. All of my children were late teethers except my son - my oldest daughter has no official diagnosis either, but her big medical issues point to gluten ataxia and she has improved a good bit since going gluten free.

All of my brothers and my sister were late teethers too. None of them seem to have a problem with gluten, so who knows, maybe late teething is just a coincidence.

I wonder how many of us with celiac disease/gluten intolerance were late teethers? hmmmm....

little d Enthusiast

Hi

My daughter did'nt get her first teeth until her 1st B-day. She has always been c and a couple of times had to give en to help her poop. Her poop that I have seen lately has been tan in color, has been complaining of her stomach hurting her. I have been tested for celiac disease but everything has come back negative, there are stomach issues a lot on he Dad side of the family. I have not gotten her tested I would like too, but she is terrified of needles and stuff like that, she can go to the Dr. if no needles are involved, same for her dad. just wanted to share.

donna

sillyactsue Explorer

I think so. My 2 1/2 year old was over a year old when she got her first teeth. Along with not gaining weight and nasty stools it was considered a concern.

sillyactsue Explorer

Sorry I couldn't find a way to delete my accidental repost.

vampella Contributor

I don't know if it is a symptom but my daughter didn't get her first tooth until she was 17 months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

I think overall a bit slower than normal development is associated with celiac disease due to malabsorption. That's one of the things the pediatric gastro was interested in at his appointment. My son did not get his teeth late, but he did not sit unassisted until after 6 months, crawl until 8.5 months, walk until 14 months, and really start talking good until after 24 months.

Archived