Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why does celiac disease cause so much gas. What is the scientific reason for it??????? I am grossing my wife out this whole week. Also I seem to have a little bit of dry mouth post glutening. Is this a weird symptom?

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Intestinal gas usually means malabsorption or we're not completely digesting the foods we eat, because we have intestinal damage or low stomach acid. If you are certain that you eliminated all sources of gluten in your diet, consider testing for:

Other food allergies, like dairy, egg, soy, etc., which can develop during long undiagnosed celiac disease;

Bacterial imbalances (too much bad bacteria, not enough good guy probiotics);

Fungus like Candida Albicans;

Parasites, which are more common in this country than once believed;

Low stomach acid (which often causes reflux and is wrongly 'medicated' with acid blockers).

You could also try taking probiotics with live or freeze dried bacteria and/or digestive enzymes. If the digestive enzymes don't help, consider taking enzymes with HCl (betaine hydrochloride). However knowledgeable docs (who don't just hand you an acid blocker prescription) can test for stomach acid.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

The most common reason for excess gas is that you are not digesting something and the bacteria that live in your gut are more than happy to digest it instead. Gas (methane) is a normal byproduct of bacterial metabolism. If you are lactose intolerant then they are digesting the lactose, or if you eat lots of veggies then they are eating the cellulose...

Tell your wife that it's not your fault, your bacteria are just hungry! :lol:

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Hi I agree with burdee.

Hang in there as the days goes by you will begin to feel better, aslong you keep the gluten-free diet, the gasses start to go away. This is what happen to me.

Is gluten the only thing affecting you?

I felt bad for my wife, there were times I called myself an open septic tank. :lol:

Best regards to you.

Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.

Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006

Biopsy Negative 04/2006

Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007

Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"

Fecal anti-casein (cow

This was one of the symptoms that was so hard to deal with because you can't go anywhere (why should anyone else suffer?). I found that after several months of being gluten free, after my intestines had time to heal, it got better and I didn't get quite so gassy after a glutening.

Now, after I'm glutened, if I get gassy it's not anywhere near as gross as it used to be. So hopefully it will get better for you too over the coming months.

Back before I found out about celiac, I was looking this subject up and found out that if your small intestine can't digest something, and the large intestine has to do it, that's when you get gas.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb