Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SydneyGF

Traveling To Ecuador And Colombia

Hi All:

In a few months I will be travelling to Ecuador and Colombia and will be there for about 6-8 weeks. I will be only eating out and was wondering if anyone here knew what foods are gluten free that I could order?

Or what staple foods could I rely on to get me through. I have never been to these places before and not sure of what their markets will have. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

SydneyGF

-------------

Gluten free since April 2004

SydneyGF

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Diagnosed with Celiacs in mid 2004

Living a wonderful gluten free life

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

I haven't been to Ecuador or Colombia either, but I know that fruits and veggies are always available and that meat, especially in Colombia, is a major staple. From living in Mexico for a few years, I found that the foods prepared in the smaller local restaurants didn't have flours or starches added to them. I'm sure if you do a websearch for the cities you're going to you could find a lot of information that other tourists have posted.

Ezme

I've been to Ecuador, but I wasn't gluten-free back then. There is always lots of fresh fruit.

Okay, I just completely lost my train of thought. I'll get back and post later. I think I need to have a snack. LOL

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Are you traveling by yourself or with a group? Colombia World Tours offers gluten-free options on all of their trips throughout the country.