Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

My son has had months of stomach pain, gas, and D on and off.

I was told that my son doesn't have celiac based on bloodwork. The dr. said the next step is allergy tests, CT scan and endoscopy/colonoscopy. The allergy test came back: 0-1 in chocolate and soybean, 2 in beef, egg, and wheat, and 3 in corn. He said that 0-2 is ok; however, 3 is considered an allergy therefore he wants him to avoid corn. GOOD NEWS that we found out something-- Has anyone else been through the RAST allergy testing? Is 2 considered high to anyone?

He also had his CT scan and they said everything showed up normal. YEAH!

Now for my main question, I'm debating on even having him go through the endoscopy/colonoscopy if it may be corn allergy. I have been suspecting gluten, but since corn has shown up, maybe that's our answer. I don't want to go through the endo. if that doesn't definately confirm celiac. I've heard so much about how the biospy are not reliable. SO, should I just cut the corn out and just wait and see? I know that seems so "duh", but then again, I think maybe he should go through the test, JUST to make sure...

I know I sound crazy, but I was wanting some opinions.

Thanks,

Beth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


Hi Beth, first of all, congrats that everything showed up well on the CT scan!

I am new to the board, but the thing that I have noticed is that each person, or case, seems to be unique and each person, or parent, makes decisions based on many things. One of those things being your gut instinct (no pun intended!). Rather than having more tests done at this time, since your son did test positivie for corn allergies, why don't you try to eliminate all corn products from his diet. Make notes and observations for a month, and see how he is doing. If at the end of that time you are not satisfied that he has made improvements, then maybe it would be time to have the scope done.

I hope he feels better soon. Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi Beth, first of all, congrats that everything showed up well on the CT scan!

I am new to the board, but the thing that I have noticed is that each person, or case, seems to be unique and each person, or parent, makes decisions based on many things. One of those things being your gut instinct (no pun intended!). Rather than having more tests done at this time, since your son did test positivie for corn allergies, why don't you try to eliminate all corn products from his diet. Make notes and observations for a month, and see how he is doing. If at the end of that time you are not satisfied that he has made improvements, then maybe it would be time to have the scope done.

I hope he feels better soon. Natalie

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I agree that postponing the test until we absolutely have no other answers is the way to go. I think eliminating corn products is just as hard as eliminating gluten. I hope our summer is full of fun and not full of dr. visits like they have been.

Thanks again,

Beth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beth, if he has a positive biopsy celiac is confirmed, but a negative biopsy does not rule it out.

I agree that it's a good idea to see his reaction when you cut out corn, then make the decision on the biopsy.


gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites