Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kali_mist

Transglutaminase In My Yogurt?

I was reading the ingredients of my yogurt and one of them was "transglutaminase". Isn't this what they test for to find out if you have celiac? I tried to find out if it is safe to eat but I couldn't find out it if has gluten in it or not. Can anyone shed some light on this for a newbie.

~Julie~

Gluten-free since March 2007

Allergic to: soy, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and mustard

"The sweet is never as sweet without the sour"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That ingredient would make me wonder also. Have you tried contacting the company about whether this is gluten-free or not? Sometimes if you put the brand name of the product and the word gluten into google the companies gluten policies will show up close to the top of the results. Many yogurts are not gluten-free so you are wise to question this.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

To be on the safe side I would not eat it. People with celiac disease mount an immune response to this enzyme (when bound to gluten?) and this is what ends up causing intestinal damage.

What yogurt are you talking about? :ph34r:

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

To be on the safe side I would not eat it. People with celiac disease mount an immune response to this enzyme (when bound to gluten?) and this is what ends up causing intestinal damage.

What yogurt are you talking about? :ph34r:

It's Danone peach flavoured. I read on this forum that this brand is gluten-free in Canada. Can I trust this?

~Julie~

Gluten-free since March 2007

Allergic to: soy, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and mustard

"The sweet is never as sweet without the sour"

I don't know about other countries but in the US Dannon yogurts are not gluten-free this is their statement on gluten-

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:BnWTT...;celiac disease=1&gl=us

"Gluten is a protein found in wheat, oats, rye and barley.DANNON yogurt products are not formulated to containgluten, but they cannot be considered gluten free. This is because the natural flavor system used might have ingredi-ents added to stabilize the flavor. These ingredients can be derived from gluten sources. Since there is a currentlack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to glutenand there are no accurate tests to detect the presence andamount of gluten, DANNON

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Transglutaminase is NOT gluten or any byproduct of gluten. It is an enzyme that catalyzes the reaction of the amino acid glutamine (again NOT related to gluten) with free amino acids. It is a safe ingredient.