Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

little d

Does It Affect All

Ok I hope that I don't open a can of worms here.

Ok everything that I have read about celiac disease that is primarly affects Caucains/White primarly of Irish decent more than any other race.

I have a coworker who is African/American that has IBS along with a slu of food allergies that would kill her like Tomatos.

I celiac disease kinda like Sickle Cell where it primarly affects African Americans which is very rare in Caucaison/White but it can happen.

Just asking, just wanting to know what your thoughts on this is

If i am opening up a can of worms I hope that they are Gluten Free :lol::blink::unsure:

Donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Nope, it's not. They say Irish decent, but I honestly wonder if that is only because they were quicker at identifing it. To my knowldege, celiac disease does not pick and choose who it takes as a victim. My celiac group put on the biggest vendor fair in North America and celiacs from all over the area and even other states came. Believe me, from the people I met, I really think Celiac Disease doesn't care who you are or where you came from.

Go ahead, make a suggestion to your co-worker.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Add to that, it's not that unlikely for your coworker to have some caucasian genes... even if they might be from a couple generations back.

Pauliina

Nope, it's not. They say Irish decent, but I honestly wonder if that is only because they were quicker at identifing it. To my knowldege, celiac disease does not pick and choose who it takes as a victim. My celiac group put on the biggest vendor fair in North America and celiacs from all over the area and even other states came. Believe me, from the people I met, I really think Celiac Disease doesn't care who you are or where you came from.

Go ahead, make a suggestion to your co-worker.

I did mention it to her but she is totally convinced that she has IBS only because the medicine that her docs have her on she says works just fine.

and

Donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

definitely not the same. celiac has been found at a higher incidence in some populations than others, but we're not talking 1:10,000 in one, and 1:100 in another. It always seems to vary between ~1:100 and 1:500, right around the same order of magnitude.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Wheat and barely were first domesticated in the Fertile Cresent (Mesopotamia region). People from this area will have a lower chance of getting celiac because their genetics have had longer to adapt to eating gluten. It's only a few thousand years headstart on the rest of the world, though, so the percent of the population affected isn't going to be that much lower for those in the Turkey/Iraq/Saudi Arabia region.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.