Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrillumHunter

I Took My Three Kids In To Be Tested Today

I'm surprised but it went really well. Only one had ever had blood drawn and he was too little to remember it. They are 6, 8 and 10. The youngest has eczema and hypoglycemia. The middle has smelly, bulky poos and a difficult disposition. The oldest has chronic constipation and a defect in his teeth enamel. All three complain of their bones hurting--I've always thought it was growing pains. I'll be surprised if at least one doesn't test positive. Do many of you have multiple children who have it? My husband and I have agreed to make the house gluten free if two of them test positive. It will have to be majority rule. Like I said, it will be a long week!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, we did enterolab so I can't answer specifically.

My youngest hasn't been tested but his eczema cleared up going soy and then gluten free. Gluten lite wasn't good enough for him so I'm thinking he has celiac. All the children have at least one celiac gene since my husband has two.

Everyone tested positive through enterolab for elevated IgA except my husband.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

All 3 of my kids have it. I was actually relieved. I would rather it be either all or none. I would have felt really bad if it had only been one or two of them. then we would have had to deal with the others bring ing gluten into the house or having different foods when we go out and stuff. It is so much easier to have us all on the diet. My husband is the only one who does not follow the gluten-free diet, but he eats mostly gluten free just because I do most of his cooking and I get sick from the gluten being in the house. He eats gluten when we go out sometimes, but he keeps it away from the rest of us!

~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

Mariann I can't help but think how less of an issue it would be if they all had it. My biggest fear is that only my daughter will have it. She has said over and over that it would be the worst thing that could ever happen to her. :( Which I can't understand because I have been sincerely happy to know what is wrong and how to take care of it. I have already made lots of yummy foods that she has enjoyed. I hope and pray that if she does have celiac disease that going gluten-free will lessen her terrible moodiness and negativity. I noticed a difference the first two weeks I was diagnosed and everyone was gluten lite. But of course I've made a point to load her up the last two weeks in order to get an accurate test.

One thing I know for sure is that none of them will have to go through the years of poor health like I did. That alone makes me confidant we can deal with this. That and this board! ;)