Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'll start from the beginning--yesterday, after work, I went to the Health Basket with my dad to pick up some gluten-free goodies, and I was looking for something quick and tasty to eat and saw some Organic Food Bars, which I remembered from one of my magazines as being gluten-free. I flip it over, and see a little check mark on the back saying "gluten-free", so I skip over the ingredients and buy it.

So I enjoyed it, sharing with my dad, and when I was done I was reading over the ingredients, and not only is there WHEAT GRASS JUICE POWDER but BARLEY GRASS JUICE POWDER. I seriously started freaking out!

I realize I should have read the ingredients, but it had that nice, trusting GLUTEN-FREE check mark on the back. I mean, how can something say gluten-free and then list barley grass juice powder and wheat grass juice powder on the back? That doesn't make sense to me.

Someone please help me out.

Do I now have to start probing the ingredients of things that say gluten-free now?

Thanks lovelies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, I am afraid you already know the answer. Obviously, the makers of that bar believe that the juice from those plants is fine and never contaminated by the grain itself..... Too many people think that, but I wouldn't trust those bars, either.

So, yes, you have to always read the ingredients of everything, even if it says gluten-free, if you want to be safe.

Hopefully you'll be okay.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, you always have to read the ingredients. but, unless they've changed the formulations on all their bars, there *are* some varieties of organic food bar that are gluten free, and one or two that aren't. (you picked up the 'greens' version?)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

what flavor did you buy? i have one in front of me and it doesn't have those ingredients but i did buy it some time ago so they could have changed ingredients since then. this week i ate the blueberry bar and i have a protein bar and both of those seemed okay. check them out online at www.organicfoodbar.com for more info.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

It was the chocolate greens one. Man, I'm usually so careful and read everything, but seeing the gluten-free check mark just made me feel safe, you know? I definately won't be making that mistake again. I'll be reading everything three times over from now on.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. You guys are sweeties.

It was the chocolate greens one. Man, I'm usually so careful and read everything, but seeing the gluten-free check mark just made me feel safe, you know? I definately won't be making that mistake again. I'll be reading everything three times over from now on.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. You guys are sweeties.

I would also contact this company and register a complaint. And I would go into vivid detail about the symptoms that eating this produced. Something needs to wise up these companies. I learned the hard way with a natural vitamin that was labeled gluten-free but had the same sort of ingredients. I hope this doesn't hit you too hard.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

While the grass itself doesn't have gluten, there's no way I'd ever trust anyone's manufacturing to not have some grain in there somewhere sometimes.

It's just not worth it to me.

Did u get a reaction?

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07