Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grey

Lifestream Buckwheat Waffles Question

Recommended Posts

I'm new at gluten-free (just over 2 weeks), and trying to figure out what in my diet is still setting me off. I mostly don't eat prepared foods, breads (Whole Foods), crackers, Lara bars, organic PB, and organic fruit spread are about it, I thought. Then I remembered Lifestream Buckwheat gluten-free wildberry waffles. I've been eating them when running out the door late or late at night when I take meds and they have by far the longest ingredient list.

But my big question is that when I eat them, I get I kind of tingling/burning taste in my mouth, heavier on the burning (hard to describe). It's not painful - it's not like a mouth of fire - it's more like a taste than a pain. Is this a reation though? Should I be avoiding this product? Is this a normal reaction/taste? Has anyone ever had this happen?

thanks,

grey

(the product also has water, potato starch, sweet rice flour, organic expeller pressed soybean oil, organic evaporated cane juice, organice buckwheat flour, leavening - sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate, potato flour, blueberries, rasberries, non-GMO soy lecithin, sea salt, natural flavors, sodium citrate, sodium alginate, citric acid, dicalcium phosphate, elderberry extract

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


Hum, I used to eat them regularly, but haven't had one in about a year I think...maybe six months. I don't remember having any taste after eating them though.

I stopped eating them because I found out I am intolerant to a bunch of stuff and Buckwheat was one of them. Still, don't remember an aftertaste of any kind though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had these last weekend, they were good and I had no aftertaste that I noticed. I have some left over, next time I will look for it.

On the tingling note however, this is how I normally react to cantalope and honeydew. That allergy is a cross over oral allergy related to my hayfever (ragweed). Perhaps you are reacting to the fruit though another allergy? I normally have mild reations to honeydew and cantalope as I usally only eat a peice here and there, but once I had Rita's "Twisted Melon" made with the juices and my throat closed up and had hard time breathing.


Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no - I hope it's not a food allergy! That's all I need. I do have a ragweed allergies, as well as a whole host of other weed, tree, grass, and mold allergies, but I didn't think I had food allergies.

I wonder if the gluten-free diet is making me more sensitive? I wonder if I should get tested for food allergies. Is this possible?

thanks -

I had these last weekend, they were good and I had no aftertaste that I noticed. I have some left over, next time I will look for it.

On the tingling note however, this is how I normally react to cantalope and honeydew. That allergy is a cross over oral allergy related to my hayfever (ragweed). Perhaps you are reacting to the fruit though another allergy? I normally have mild reations to honeydew and cantalope as I usally only eat a peice here and there, but once I had Rita's "Twisted Melon" made with the juices and my throat closed up and had hard time breathing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you figure out you were intolerant to Buckwheat? (or the other things you mention in your post?)

thanks,

grey

Hum, I used to eat them regularly, but haven't had one in about a year I think...maybe six months. I don't remember having any taste after eating them though.

I stopped eating them because I found out I am intolerant to a bunch of stuff and Buckwheat was one of them. Still, don't remember an aftertaste of any kind though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But my big question is that when I eat them, I get I kind of tingling/burning taste in my mouth, heavier on the burning (hard to describe). It's not painful - it's not like a mouth of fire - it's more like a taste than a pain. Is this a reation though? Should I be avoiding this product? Is this a normal reaction/taste? Has anyone ever had this happen?

Hi - before I even opened this thread I assumed this is what you would be asking. I notice that about the waffles too. It's not really all that annoying (they're still good :)), but it is strange. I am sensitive to soy but that's not a normal soy reaction for me. I try to limit packaged food as well so may we're just not used to a certain ingredient. Who knows.


"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh no - I hope it's not a food allergy! That's all I need. I do have a ragweed allergies, as well as a whole host of other weed, tree, grass, and mold allergies, but I didn't think I had food allergies.

I wonder if the gluten-free diet is making me more sensitive? I wonder if I should get tested for food allergies. Is this possible?

thanks -

Here is some info I found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

I don't avoid honeydew and Cantalope too much, I eat around it in fruit salad, usally have once piece and that's it. I do avoid things with thier juice (italian ice) or LOTS of it. I also carry an inhaler for asthma and make sure I have that on me, just incase. As the article explains it's not an allergy to the food... your body just thinks it's the thing your allergic to.


Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How did you figure out you were intolerant to Buckwheat? (or the other things you mention in your post?)

thanks,

grey

It was kind of a combination of an elimination diet and alternative muscle type testing. I used the muscle testing to get a base diet for myself then am finding all the intolerances through adding things in a little at a time.

I actually started with an elimination diet, which works for most people, but I couldn't get to a point where I wasn't reacting to stuff, so had to search out some alternative type stuff. It turns out that most of the "safe" foods most elimination diets start with were exactly the stuff I was having a problem with. Once I cut those out and I had a good base diet of safe foods, I have been adding a new food in here and there and seeing how I react to it.

Needless to say, I try to stay as unprocessed as possible to I can tell WHAT is causing the reactions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites