Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eLaurie

L-glutamine For Leaky Gut

I've been reading about l-glutamine's benefits for decreasing gut permeability. I've been gluten free for almost a year, casein free for 6 months and still don't have complete resolution of symptoms.

While I realize healing can take 2+ years, I'm ready now to start supplements and herbs (primarly ginger) to hopefully speed healing. I read about l-glutamine on another web site, then read some PubMed abstracts about its role in gut integrity, so am ready to give it a go.

I always like to hear success stories from people who've been doing things a while, so if you've been regularly taking l-glutamine for 3 - 6 months or longer, I'd love to hear your story.

And I don't mind negatives or no response stories if you've tried it for 3 -6 months.

A good link from this board about l-glutamine:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...c=7338&st=0

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would not take ANYTHING without talking with your doctor. Some people have positive experiences, but that isn't the same for others.

I took L-Glutamine and ended up in the hospital, after reading all of the positive things. For me, it was completely negative, and dangerous.

Gluten-free, Vegan

I'm not as worried about the adverse effects of l-glutamine as I am the consequences of gut permeability. I have a master's degree in nutrition, have read up on the pharmacology, and am titrating dosage slowly.

Thanks for your concern; I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but am trusting the professional literature that shows such occurances are rare.

I'm not as worried about the adverse effects of l-glutamine as I am the consequences of gut permeability.

What ARE the consequences of gut permeability?

Self-diagnosed in 2004 after 6 years of hell. Doing well on gluten-free diet, but still having occasional bouts of accidental glutening. Message board has been a godsend. Have been on since 2004 as "grannynanny," but couldn't recreate password and was shut out, having to re-register in 2007. Update: Gastroenterologist wanted to do genetic test for celiac (Mar 2008). Results showed genetic marker on G8 -- one of two genes identified as Celiac.

I'm not as worried about the adverse effects of l-glutamine as I am the consequences of gut permeability. I have a master's degree in nutrition, have read up on the pharmacology, and am titrating dosage slowly.

Thanks for your concern; I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but am trusting the professional literature that shows such occurances are rare.

I literally did almost die - so I was quite worried. But, again, it was just my experience.

Gluten-free, Vegan

eLaurie, I took L-glutamine for about 2 months only, as recommended from my Integrative Medicine doctor for leaky gut symptoms. Unfortunately, I did not see any results in my digestion. (I was taking a variety of other supplements, too.)

Since that time, however, I have cut down on my dairy and in the last 5 weeks, cut way down on my sugar (but not my carbs). I have been taking it again for a month or so.

I have improved since being off sugar, but it's so hard to attribute to one thing. L-glut certainly did not hurt me and may be helping. Who knows. I am taking 5-10 grams a day, which is a big-honkin' spoonful. It tastes weird unless it's in juice. You probably already know this. So while I am not really answering your question, know that there's someone out there that's taking it without knowing whether the results she's seeing are due to l-glut or not. I figure that all the herbs, vitamins, and supplements work synergistically and the proof will be how you feel in a month or two after being on the stuff regularly and as a package deal.

Good luck.

I would not take ANYTHING without talking with your doctor. Some people have positive experiences, but that isn't the same for others.

I took L-Glutamine and ended up in the hospital, after reading all of the positive things. For me, it was completely negative, and dangerous.

What else were you taking along with the L-Glutamine? How much were you taking?

I've had celiac disease for two years and am having a hard time losing weight. I was told L-Glutamine would help cravings.