Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpellegr

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I volunteered at a Habitat for Humanity build Sunday, and ended up cutting and hanging drywall. Toward the end of the day, a little thought in my head nagged that I might have seen something about gluten in drywall on this forum, but I would just have to wait and see. Sure enough, glutened! Next time I'll find out exactly which jobs I'll be doing before I say yes! Any other building supplies I should avoid?

I volunteered at a Habitat for Humanity build Sunday, and ended up cutting and hanging drywall. Toward the end of the day, a little thought in my head nagged that I might have seen something about gluten in drywall on this forum, but I would just have to wait and see. Sure enough, glutened! Next time I'll find out exactly which jobs I'll be doing before I say yes! Any other building supplies I should avoid?

I have not found many responses that drywall contains gluten, or at least substantiated with documentation, but to be on the safe side, I would work elsewhere. And a mask would probably be helpful.

I found out this the hard way also. The NIH has a database of nonfood item containing gluten, drywall is on that list as is the mud that is used to finish. I have lost the link to it but you may be able to google it. Also the majority of wallpapers also have gluten pastes. I am not sure about things like paint but I wear gloves and a mask now when doing any home repair stuff.