Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpellegr

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I volunteered at a Habitat for Humanity build Sunday, and ended up cutting and hanging drywall. Toward the end of the day, a little thought in my head nagged that I might have seen something about gluten in drywall on this forum, but I would just have to wait and see. Sure enough, glutened! Next time I'll find out exactly which jobs I'll be doing before I say yes! Any other building supplies I should avoid?

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I volunteered at a Habitat for Humanity build Sunday, and ended up cutting and hanging drywall. Toward the end of the day, a little thought in my head nagged that I might have seen something about gluten in drywall on this forum, but I would just have to wait and see. Sure enough, glutened! Next time I'll find out exactly which jobs I'll be doing before I say yes! Any other building supplies I should avoid?

I have not found many responses that drywall contains gluten, or at least substantiated with documentation, but to be on the safe side, I would work elsewhere. And a mask would probably be helpful.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I found out this the hard way also. The NIH has a database of nonfood item containing gluten, drywall is on that list as is the mud that is used to finish. I have lost the link to it but you may be able to google it. Also the majority of wallpapers also have gluten pastes. I am not sure about things like paint but I wear gloves and a mask now when doing any home repair stuff.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)