Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kiwi56

Gfcf Birth Control - Advice, Please!

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with major gluten intolerance last fall (can't even eat meats with hormones), and am also lactose intolerant.

I'm getting married soon and have been looking at Gluten-free Casein-free birth control options, and am reaching my wits ends with what to do. At first the depo shot or the patch looked like a good idea, but then both of them seem to also come with a lot of controversy and extra-major side effects. The nuva ring is something I really don't think I could handle either, as I can't even manage to use tampons.

So then I heard of Kariva, which is supposedly Gluten-free Casein-free, (this is turning into a long story, sorry folks) but that doesn't seem much improvement either to the patch and whatnot with side effects, especially in giving migraines.

So if you wonderful people have any advice, I am all ears and would be ever so appreciative. Thanks ahead of time. :)

I am on Yaz and I am Gluten-free Casein-free. I didn't know it has casein until just now when I looked. Have you taken a pill with casein in it? I am really sensitive, but it doesn't bother me. But you have to do what's right for you. It is gluten free though.

Kassandra

I am on Yaz and I am Gluten-free Casein-free. I didn't know it has casein until just now when I looked. Have you taken a pill with casein in it? I am really sensitive, but it doesn't bother me. But you have to do what's right for you. It is gluten free though.

Kassandra

Are you sure its casein? Pretty much all bc pills contain pharmaceutical grade lactose, which is really pure (I'm told) and should be free of casein. I'm casein intolerant but can handle small amounts of pharmaceutical grade lactose.

I also take Yaz and have no problems with it. This is the pill that gives you a shorter period, about 3 days in total and very light. I did have some weight gain with it though but thats common with all the pills.

I take Yasmin which has the same active ingredients as Yaz but uses 21 active pills instead of 24. I'd like to take Yaz but it's not on my insurance (maybe it will be soon).

FWIW, I take my Yasmin 3 packs back to back skipping the sugar pills and so I go 9 weeks without a period. If I could take Yaz I could extend that by another nine days.

Skipping your period through the pill is a' whole 'nother thread, though. I've got my reasons if anyone needs to know them (and I already know it's not natural to do it that way. :) )

Thanks for your replies so far everyone.

For those of you taking Yaz - did you have any side effects in the first week to three months of taking it, or know anyone who is gluten-free that did?

Kiwi56 -

If you are considering using a birth control pill, you may want to talk to your doctor about how long you have to take it before it becomes effective.

Cindy

I am about to finish my first pack of Yaz. I also took Yasmin about a year ago, and I hated it! I was under the impression that they are a little different. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what my dr. told me. The only reason I would even try the Yaz was because it was different. I have had a few side effects, but not weight gain, no break outs, etc. I have cramps sometimes (that could be totally unrelated though, because I have other problems going on) and thirst, which again may not be BC related. I hope this helps.

My gyno told me a lot of people who hate most other pills, really like Yaz, and so far I really like it. For me, I would have known if there were side effects right away.

Kassandra

I am about to finish my first pack of Yaz. I also took Yasmin about a year ago, and I hated it! I was under the impression that they are a little different. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what my dr. told me. The only reason I would even try the Yaz was because it was different. I have had a few side effects, but not weight gain, no break outs, etc. I have cramps sometimes (that could be totally unrelated though, because I have other problems going on) and thirst, which again may not be BC related. I hope this helps.

My gyno told me a lot of people who hate most other pills, really like Yaz, and so far I really like it. For me, I would have known if there were side effects right away.

Kassandra

They have the same active ingredient but Yaz has a lower dose than Yasmin of estrogen. (30 mg vs. 20 mg)

Side Effects I got from Yaz was definitely the thirst thing, and i was feeling off the first month until I changed from taking it in the morning to the evening. I did gain weight though.

Good things were the reduced period to about 3 days, very light, and very few cramps. I used to have cramps in the middle of my cycle due to ovulation and those are now gone, obviously. I am happy with the pill most of the time.

Side Effects I got from Yaz was definitely the thirst thing, and i was feeling off the first month until I changed from taking it in the morning to the evening. I did gain weight though.

Good things were the reduced period to about 3 days, very light, and very few cramps. I used to have cramps in the middle of my cycle due to ovulation and those are now gone, obviously. I am happy with the pill most of the time.

so "most of the time" means when you are not extra-thirsty and not having cramps?? and what do you mean by you were "feeling off" the first month?

thanks again! :)

I think the reason I am getting cramps is because I'm really bad about taking it the same time every night, and since it's a really low dose of hormones, I read that you can get breakthrough bleeding easily. I haven't, but I wonder if my body thinks it's getting my period, so I am getting cramps. I don't have the cramps for almost the whole day and they're not like real cramps. Again, I have tried many pills, and this is the only one that I really like. I am more than willing to put up with cramps for a little bit than gain 10 lbs or have my skin break out so much I don't want to be seen.

Kassandra

P.S. The thirst is mainly because all BC's are a diuretic so this one just happens to make me thirstier than others.

I think the reason I am getting cramps is because I'm really bad about taking it the same time every night, and since it's a really low dose of hormones, I read that you can get breakthrough bleeding easily. I haven't, but I wonder if my body thinks it's getting my period, so I am getting cramps. I don't have the cramps for almost the whole day and they're not like real cramps. Again, I have tried many pills, and this is the only one that I really like. I am more than willing to put up with cramps for a little bit than gain 10 lbs or have my skin break out so much I don't want to be seen.

Kassandra

P.S. The thirst is mainly because all BC's are a diuretic so this one just happens to make me thirstier than others.

thanks - and wow that was a fast reply! :)

I don't think BCP have diuretics in them. If so, this is news to me. I actually had to stop taking them because my blood pressure was too high and I got put on a blood pressure meds with a diuretic.

In any case

Sorry I should have clarified. By off, I meant that my emotions seemed to be running haywire the entire first month. I was a lot more emotional and weepy that entire month and for no reason. And i think i still have some extra thirst but no other side effects.

About the diuretic, I called my gyno concerned about the thirst and she said that the pill's have a diuretic affect. I guess maybe they aren't actual diuretics, but they have the affects of them. This is why some people lose weight when they go on the pill, they lose water weight. (Or they're so nauseous they stop eating the same amount :) )

Kassandra

I don't know if it is CF but when I took BC I took Loestrin and it was gluten-free. I normally have horrible side effects on the pill and I did not have any with this one except a reduced time period, which was a Godsend! With any pill if the effects are not overwhelming use for at least 3 months before deciding to change, you should be on it for at least one month before it is going to be effective and ANY time you are ill, ie vomitting or D you must remain careful for the following month as it processes through your body faster, found that out the hard way. (Though I wouldn't change the result for anything in the world!) Good Luck.

Greetings,

I know what you are going through. I began using the pill about three years ago. I gained about 13 pounds and was crazy with mood swings. The pharmacy gave me a generic pill, which made me even more cranky. I told my Doctor that I had horrible PMS, she told me PMS was BS and that it was just an excuse to behave the way people wanted to. Needless to say, I no longer go to her for birth control. I have been using the Nuvo Ring since January. I love it. Since the hormones do not go through the blood stream I am much happier and they are supposed to be safe for gluten-free folks like us.

Hope everything works out for you.

Sara

I just wanted to say my gyno called me to tell me that thirst is a normal side effect of Yaz. She said she called the company and it should subside within a month or two and it has. :)

Kassandra