This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Think?

angayla17

angayla17 Newbie

Hi, i have posted recently, my thread was "may my son have celiac" Any way, i was wondering , would you think he should have severe symptoms if the main staple of his diet is 100% whole wheat bread? He def. has symptoms, but IMO not severe? He also loves mac&cheese. Just curious!! Hope he does not have celiac, the bread thing WILL be a MAJOR problem for him!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Belinda Meeker Apprentice
Hi, i have posted recently, my thread was "may my son have celiac" Any way, i was wondering , would you think he should have severe symptoms if the main staple of his diet is 100% whole wheat bread? He def. has symptoms, but IMO not severe? He also loves mac&cheese. Just curious!! Hope he does not have celiac, the bread thing WILL be a MAJOR problem for him!!!

Well Angayla.

If there is the slightest thought of him being any bit of celiac disease then NO bread unless it is wheat, barely, oats, rye, & gluten free :(

As for M&C they do sell gluten-free at the health food store (not sure if it taste good or not) but I make my own !

Good luck to ya !

I too hope he doesn't have celiac disease <_<

Belinda

Guest j_mommy

Gluten containg whole wheat bread and reg mac and cheese are out for him if he has celiac. My little guy does like the gluten-free mac and cheese.

We eat homemade bread b/c it tastes better....also bread from silly yak bakery. www.sillyyakbakery.com...they have garlic chedder bread that's to die for!!!!

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Severity of symptoms does not necessarily equate to the amount of internal damage. My son was screened as my first degree relative after I was diagnosed. I was sure he would be negative because he had no outward symptoms. His TTG was almost as high as mine was, and his biopsy showed severe intestinal damage. We had nearly the same bloodwork and biopsy results, yet he had no symptoms and I was dying of malnutrition.

As far as his favorite foods go, you will find good replacements in time. We have great bread and mac and cheese all the time.

melrobsings Contributor

If you have a whole foods near you they have their own brand of bread and I can't get enough of it!!!! They have different flavors too! Otherwise just order stuff online. It is a pain, and expensive but I personally think it's worth it (if you aren't near a whole foods). Personally, I LIVE for whole foods! I have tried the Annes gluten-free mac and cheese and it taste like card board, i almost barfed it up!

melrobsings Contributor

I forgot. Get the kid on tater tots! They are great! I'm all about the tater tots and cold cuts.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Nope, symptoms don't matter. My daughter's only symptom was acid reflux and they aren't sure that was from the Celiac disease - probably more likely from her Gastroparesis.

Don't change his diet until you are ready - If his blood test comes back positive, they will probably want to do an endoscopy and he should still be on gluten at that time. Of course, some people choose to skip this part - that's your decision. Or it may come back negative and you may still want to try the diet to see if it helps his symptoms - there are lots of people on this board that fall into that catagory, too.

If you do decide (on your own or per doctor's orders) to go gluten-free, hold off on buying the bread. It's going to go over like a ton of bricks - literally - that's what my first purchase of gluten-free bread felt like - a brick :lol: . Plus it was expensive and now I will just be using it for bread crumbs . . .

After one bite on her first whole day of going gluten-free, my daughter would not try it again. Since then, I tried making it myself - first two attempts were miserable, third was better but not much, fourth was a LOT better and she ended up actually eating it (only as toast, though) and my fifth try is the one we will stick with. She actually ate that one without it being toasted. There is a whole thread about it under the baking heading.

Pinned: The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted... 123

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Stargirl* Newbie

My daughter's staple was bread too. Sometimes I wonder if we eat what we shouldn't because our body craves it like a drug. She felt so great being gluten-free that she forgot about bread for the most part. Everynow and then she comments on how much she would like a 'soft' sandwich but her replacement food is just as nice and a whole lot better for her.

vanillazeis Rookie

i dont know if you guys have other intolerances or if it will work for you, but theres a brand called kinnikinnick (www.kinnikinnick.com) and my 3 year old went straight from mrs. baird's white bread to kinnikinnick's italian white tapioca rice bread and she LOVES it!!! They list all their ingredients on their website, and you can do a search to find a healthfood store near you that carries it. They are gluten free, but i know alot of their stuff contains eggs. my kiddo loves their individual sized pizza crusts too... and i just microwave them, so it only takes me like 5 minutes to make her a pizza!!! as for the macaroni, we use tinkyada shells, and i add grated cheddar cheese, butter and sour cream, and bayleigh loves it! good luck ya'll

angayla17 Newbie

Thank you all so much for your replies, I guess severity of symptoms isn't a huge indicator and looks like there are lots of food alternatives if we need them!! I am going to try to stop thinking about all of this until we actually have the blood work done, but i see that if he is indeed celiac, I have found a great supportive place to come!! Thanks again, we are not going to the doc till after our holidays in Aug., so if I don't ask any other ?s before then, I'll post and let you all knopw how things went!!! Thanks so much again, you are a wonderful community!!

Karen B. Explorer

At the time I was diagnosed, I had no Celiac symptoms, just anemia and sciatica from B vitamin and folic acid deficiency. When my Mom was diagnosed, she had no Celiac symptoms, just leg cramps and at 73, the doc couldn't believe she had Celiac.

FYI -- The GFP Favorite Sandwich Bread is the closest I've tasted to plain white bread. Amazon has a pack of 6 for under $20. I haven't tasted the Kinnikinnick bread mentioned earlier. Someone else has mentioned Authentic Foods Cinnamon bread as the only bread their kids will eat (the kids have good taste, that bread is delicious).

Amy's Mac and Cheese is really good. We had a mac-n-cheese conversation going a few days ago but I can't find it now.

I don't have kids, but I think it's good to have a firm diagnosis and rule out other problems. I've seen several posts about kids that hit their teen years and decide to ignore their diet. If you have a diagnosis you can point to, it comes from a position. Personally speaking, I'm glad a diagnosis was obtainable for me. Many know they have a problem with gluten but the tests still have a lot of false negatives (but no false positives).

Archived