Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ElenaDragon

Not Sleeping Well

I have been on the gluten-free diet for two weeks now, and I have not been sleeping well. I have always been a light sleeper, but now I am waking up during the night many times, feel like I am sleeping lighter, and I wake up early in the morning before my alarm. I don't really feel sleep deprived, but I used to sleep through the night without getting up.

Has anyone else found that after starting the gluten-free diet their sleeping patterns changed? Did you eventually adjust after being on the diet for a while?

I wake every morning before my alarm too. I also have a harder time getting to sleep anymore. I sometimes take Tylenol PM to help me on work nights. My sleep habits have changed drastically.

I've found that I need a lot less sleep now that I'm gluten free. I used to sleep through the night every night. Now I don't, I wake several times a night, but I generally wake feeling well rested even if I only get 6 hours of sleep. I am 3 years into the gluten free diet and I've adjusted to this over time. It felt unnatural at first, but now it doesn't bother me.

I have to say, I never wake up tired so it must not be too bad for me either. I rather be waking up well rested than sleeping all the time which I was practically doing before my dx.

I have to say, I never wake up tired so it must not be too bad for me either. I rather be waking up well rested than sleeping all the time which I was practically doing before my dx.

Good point! I guess I shouldn't be that concerned since I haven't been feeling tired. The only time I feel tired is when I go to bed later than usual - I think this messes up my internal clock.

My wife and I rely on a nice, natural sleep aid when we get insomnia: Rescue Remedy. It's flower essences, distilled into brandy alcohol. Totally gluten-free. A couple of drops under the tongue, and I'm off to sleepy-land in about 30 minutes. It doesn't tranquilize you; but it tends to de-stress you and lets you relax naturally. Works great for hyper doggies too!

http://www.rescueremedy.com

-Pat