Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lenjac

Glutenings And Weight Gain

Everytime I get accidentally get glutened, I gain weight. Weight loss was never the problem pre-dx, either. Initially when I went on the gluten-free diet, i lost about 30 lbs. Now everytime I get glutened, I gain at least 10 lbs per episode, and it doesn't just fall back off. Help!!!

Everytime I get accidentally get glutened, I gain weight. Weight loss was never the problem pre-dx, either. Initially when I went on the gluten-free diet, i lost about 30 lbs. Now everytime I get glutened, I gain at least 10 lbs per episode, and it doesn't just fall back off. Help!!!

I think it's interesting you say this--because I have suspicions about a potential link being glutened and weight gain. I know part of it is the extreme bloat and water retention... and then the lethargy following it (i.e. not moving enough)... but then maybe there's a metabolic reaction as well that slows down the digestive system in order to hold onto calories? Maybe the damage in the intestine causes the body to jump into "low calorie" or "starvation" mode?