Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had my surgery July 18th. They ended up removing 18 inches of small intestine and two very large tumors. The tumors are benign but they are concerned because there are several other small tumors that they did not take out this time. They cleaned up the area around the two so they think they got the worst. It has been a very slow recovery. I am drinking Ensure until I can eat more. The most frustrating part was while in the hospital the food, not it's taste but because they did not know what gluten free was. I could only have small bites but they would send cookies, bread, fried chicken, gravy. My daughter stayed with me and went to the nurses station and raised a little ----. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I've really missed this site.

Welcome back, Jenny :)

I'm glad to hear you're recovering nicely--I hope that continues.

Hospitals have a lot to learn about Celiac patients--I had surgery earlier this year, and even the nurses agreed it was best for me to supply all of my own food.

Take care.

Hey Jenny,

Glad to have you back with us again. You have been through the worst, so everything else is a down hill slide.

A speedy recovery!!! :)

Hospitals have a lot to learn about Celiac patients--I had surgery earlier this year, and even the nurses agreed it was best for me to supply all of my own food.

I'm amazed hospital dietitians don't know anything about celiac disease. That's pretty sad.

Glad you are back & doing better after surgery.

Hospitals lease out the food operation to the lowest bidder. I would not eat any of it even if I was not gluten free. Most of it is awful & totally unhealthy.

I remember ... ;) when schools & hospitals had actual staff that cooked real food from the local supply of meat & veggies. Oh we used to love our lunch room ladies & their wonderful cooking. Of course each school was different depending on where you lived in the U.S. Now it seems everything is the same government issued cheapo trash food...