Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had my surgery July 18th. They ended up removing 18 inches of small intestine and two very large tumors. The tumors are benign but they are concerned because there are several other small tumors that they did not take out this time. They cleaned up the area around the two so they think they got the worst. It has been a very slow recovery. I am drinking Ensure until I can eat more. The most frustrating part was while in the hospital the food, not it's taste but because they did not know what gluten free was. I could only have small bites but they would send cookies, bread, fried chicken, gravy. My daughter stayed with me and went to the nurses station and raised a little ----. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I've really missed this site.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome back, Jenny :)

I'm glad to hear you're recovering nicely--I hope that continues.

Hospitals have a lot to learn about Celiac patients--I had surgery earlier this year, and even the nurses agreed it was best for me to supply all of my own food.

Take care.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hey Jenny,

Glad to have you back with us again. You have been through the worst, so everything else is a down hill slide.

A speedy recovery!!! :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Hospitals have a lot to learn about Celiac patients--I had surgery earlier this year, and even the nurses agreed it was best for me to supply all of my own food.

I'm amazed hospital dietitians don't know anything about celiac disease. That's pretty sad.

I can second that! They are terrible about celiac. I am glad you are doing better though. '

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Glad your back and hope you recover soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Glad you are back & doing better after surgery.

Hospitals lease out the food operation to the lowest bidder. I would not eat any of it even if I was not gluten free. Most of it is awful & totally unhealthy.

I remember ... ;) when schools & hospitals had actual staff that cooked real food from the local supply of meat & veggies. Oh we used to love our lunch room ladies & their wonderful cooking. Of course each school was different depending on where you lived in the U.S. Now it seems everything is the same government issued cheapo trash food...