Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

devo

Reaction?

HI,

I have an allergy to wheat, but my bloodwork tested negative for celiac disease. It wasn't until recently that my naturalist suggested I try a gluten free diet. I am excited to say that for the first time in a year, my skin is starting to clear up and I'm beginning to look healthy again. I also feel like I can think more clearly and I feel a little more like myself.

I have been living gluten free for the past month, but have had a few instances where I mistakenly ate something with gluten. I was starting to feel better for a while, but I ate something on Wednesday at a fast food restaurant I thought was safe, but it wasn't. I still don't feel quite right today on Sunday. Is this typical? I feel tired, weak, and have no energy. Since this diet is new to me, my question is, when you have a gluten reaction, how long does it typically take to feel better again? Also, once you have gone gluten free, how long until you truly feel well? I know it is different for each person, but I would love to hear from some of you. I'm so encouraged by this community and have learned so much already. Thank you!

For many after the D shows up the worst is over but we can have related issues for up to 3 weeks, this applies especially if you have neuro or DH issues.

The best ways to help speed healing along for me are first off I make sure I have taken my sublingual B12, it helps with the nerve and neuro related issues, if I have acute stomach pain I will take pepto bismal, name brand, but I do try to avoid taking immodium unless I absolutely have to. That is just my personal preference after living on multiple doses for 15 years. I prefer to let the offending substance make it's way out as fast as possible. I find in the initial days after a glutening buckwheat hot cereal, very much like cream of wheat, to be soothing and easy to digest especially with a good helping of cinnamon added. I am sure others will post with things that help them but unfortunately the only complete relief is going to come from time.

You've certainly come to the right place to learn all you need to know about being gluten-free.

It can be difficult when first starting the diet to avoid accidental glutenings. But it gets better as you become more educated and experienced. Full recovery is such an individual thing. It helps to think in terms of months rather than days or weeks. My own point of reference has been ..."next year I'll be well and able to do......[fill in the blank]" It didn't actually take a full year, but thinking this way keeps me from being too impatient. Also, I had other issues that needed to be addressed before I started feeling really good, and it took a fair amount of time to discover what they all were.

I feel tired, weak, and have no energy. !

I can certainly relate. When I get glutened now, it's 2-3 days in the bathroom with D and mild cramping and feeling like crap, and then a week or two of being tired and having little energy. But that happens rarely now that I know what I'm doing.