This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Friendly Options On Martha's Vineyard?

rbh

rbh Apprentice

Hi -- we're going to Martha's Vineyard in a week, and are trying to find out

if there are any celiac friendly restaurant options. We will be staying in

a house and plan to do most of our own cooking, but an occasional meal out

would be nice. We have two teens with us (one teen has celiac) so the

restaurants need to be teen friendly as well. I've done a number of

internet searches, but haven't been able to come up with anything on the

Vineyard itself (as opposed to Cape Cod). Also, any info on the ice cream

shops on MV would be appreciated -- they don't seem to have web sites or

answer their phones! Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sterndogg Apprentice

I was just out there last weekend...here's a link with some places to check out...I'm very familiar with The Wharf in Edgartown - haven't actually eaten there but have spent many late nights there B)

Open Original Shared Link

• 11 months later...
newlyfree Rookie

Hi all - I know this is an old thread, but I found it when I was researching places to eat in MV and I thought anyone else who finds it should know...

The Wharf in Edgartown has apparently changed hands and the new owner, well... he was quite rude and extremely annoyed that people have been calling him to ask about gluten-free dining. He even told my husband that if we tried to eat there he wouldn't serve me anything but a plain lettuce salad!! I have to say, nothing ruins a Celiac's vacation day faster than having a simple "Hi - I hear you're familiar with the gluten free diet" produce a tirade from someone supposedly in the customer service business.

Luckily, a few blocks up the street was a very nice restaurant called Alchemy. They knew all about gluten and were happy to help us out, so all was not lost. The server even asked 'are there any allergies at the table' when she took our drink orders. Food was very tasty too :)

I've also sent this to the admins on that gfguideny web page, so they can update it.

Another note - The Scottish Bakehouse listed there was wonderful, but I'd recommend calling ahead to place a gluten-free order. The first day we went in around 11AM they were already sold out of all the gluten-free breakfast pastries! But they will make anything on their long list of gluten-free recipes for you if you call the day before you plan to visit.

Hope that helps!!

Gemini Experienced
The Wharf in Edgartown has apparently changed hands and the new owner, well... he was quite rude and extremely annoyed that people have been calling him to ask about gluten-free dining. He even told my husband that if we tried to eat there he wouldn't serve me anything but a plain lettuce salad!! I have to say, nothing ruins a Celiac's vacation day faster than having a simple "Hi - I hear you're familiar with the gluten free diet" produce a tirade from someone supposedly in the customer service business.

As a lifelong resident of Massachusetts, I would have to say that the Wharf's ignorant manager/owner's remarks can be typical of the Islands. Not saying everyone is like that but Nantucket and the Vineyard are ultra wealthy and ultra snotty and rude at times. He seemed to go the extra mile with the remark about the plain lettuce salad. What a jerk!

• 3 weeks later...
willcoogan Newbie
Hi all - I know this is an old thread, but I found it when I was researching places to eat in MV and I thought anyone else who finds it should know...

Luckily, a few blocks up the street was a very nice restaurant called Alchemy. They knew all about gluten and were happy to help us out, so all was not lost. The server even asked 'are there any allergies at the table' when she took our drink orders. Food was very tasty too :)

I've also sent this to the admins on that gfguideny web page, so they can update it.

Another note - The Scottish Bakehouse listed there was wonderful, but I'd recommend calling ahead to place a gluten-free order. The first day we went in around 11AM they were already sold out of all the gluten-free breakfast pastries! But they will make anything on their long list of gluten-free recipes for you if you call the day before you plan to visit.

Hope that helps!!

Alright...I'll start by saying that I am sorry you got the impression that I would not like top serve you a gluten free meal...That is not the case and I certainly did not offer you a "plain" lettuce salad. You might have talked to my head Chef who has many calls regarding specific diets...and If you caught him on a bad day then that is the "restaurant" business..We happen to be a Seafood restaurant and we get bunches of calls from people who are allergic to seafood...We try to please these allergies as well...I am always trying to please any one who steps through the doors.... but in June-August sometimes it becomes quite difficult..I will do the best I can to prepare meals for people with all types of food allergies but sometimes it does become hard to please everyone...I will look at my menu and try to be more aware of Gluten free diet restrictions in the future..I was told about this review from a fellow Islander and I thought it best to reply to the post...Once again I am sorry for the misunderstanding...Will Coogan Wharf Pub

Archived