Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OregonGF

gluten-free Vinegar

GF peoples: Do you use GF vinegar?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use gluten-free vinegar?

• yes I use gluten-free vinegar
    • no, I don't use gluten-free vinegar

I tried at the Supermarket, I checked for gluten-free vinegar and could not find any. Even the cereal aisle was not stocked with anything appropriate for me yesterday, the only gluten-free items were pastas, and they had tags below their prices "Gluten Free Item". That was nice :) I understand this is a journey and I am only beginning, been getting close to practicing a completely gluten-free diet for about 5 weeks (?) now. The resources here at celiac.com are wonderful, and I'm far from losing hope.

This vinegar thing though? This is a shock and dissapointment, I love vinegar and use it plenty, my Grandfather used to praise it's medicinal value, it works against some ugly toxins in the body. How can vinegar have gluten in it?

Should I avoid vinegar? Do you avoid vinegar?

What's the toughest thing for you to leave out of your diet?

thanks everyone ;) and Happy Day (GiA)

OregonGF

For the most part, vinegar is safe. You only need to worry about malt vinegar and some flavored vinegars. Go ahead and continue using vinegars like you used to :)

WOW, thanks for the quick response mango, that was a thrill. How do you feel about carmel color?

thanks again - GiA and Happy Day - OregonGF

WOW, thanks for the quick response mango, that was a thrill. How do you feel about carmel color?

thanks again - GiA and Happy Day - OregonGF

I have a problem with Carmel Color! I really react to it. For instance, I cannot have dark soda, ect. What foods with Carmel color do you have problems with and what happens to you?

All Heinz Vinagers are gluten free except the apple cider FLAVORED and the Malt. Their regual apple cider vinager and their distilled are gluten-free. Also wine vinagers that have nothing added to them are also safe.

Some carmel colorings are derived from 'cooking' starches, wheat and barley can be used. If in doubt call the company. Carmel that just says carmel is sugar and so are some carmel colorings but unless specified on the label it is always better to be safe.