Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snomnky

Outback, Son Glutened Again!

We have a supposed great outback in our town, but my son has been glutened twice in the last few months. Right now he has gigantic red, bleeding blisters on his butt and has been sick to his stomach and had a stomach ache for two days. I am livid!!! I want to give a warning that even in a restaurant that has a extensive gluten free menu and advertises such, the staff and chefs may still be uneducated and unwilling to take the time to do gluten free right. We did contact the owner after the last glutening and felt that he handled the situation appropriately so we have eaten there three times since, but never again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Im sorry to hear that your son was glutened there! I worked at Outback for almost 3 years and i know that it really just depends on the manager of the restaurant and his ability to communicate with the chefs (usually non-English speakers). My old manager took it very seriously and usually cooked the food himself using aluminum foil on a separate part of the grill and wouldnt let anyone else handle the food. Its too bad you have had those bad experiences.. but if you dont want to give up yet, maybe you should speak with the manager again and really explain how he/she should handle the food. I know its frustrating though!

we usually go to outback since my son was diagnosticaded.

we went like 30 times and there were all good experiences, but then we went again and we have 2 bad experiences in a row, so after that We opted to talk to the manager before we order the food and we told hi about the bad experiences, and also that WE NEED THEM and we want to keep coming so he checked personally that everything was Kosher.

maybe you can try that if you dont want to stop going there.

Abi

Abigail, mom of Brian (36 months and Celiac since oct 2006), and Alan (9 month and Didnt try any gluten yet...)

I am sorry to hear this. We are planning to eat there tomorrow night. I hope I don't get glutened! Hope your son is feeling better soon!

Amber

Mom of twin girls Perry & Ella (11.5.05) and Luca (5.2.07)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease 7.16.07

Gluten-free 7.17.07

Perry & Ella tested negative (blood test) 8/2007

Luca tested negative (blood test) 7/2009

We have a supposed great outback in our town, but my son has been glutened twice in the last few months. Right now he has gigantic red, bleeding blisters on his butt and has been sick to his stomach and had a stomach ache for two days. I am livid!!! I want to give a warning that even in a restaurant that has a extensive gluten free menu and advertises such, the staff and chefs may still be uneducated and unwilling to take the time to do gluten free right. We did contact the owner after the last glutening and felt that he handled the situation appropriately so we have eaten there three times since, but never again!

I hope you son is feeling better!

Just not going back to that restaurant won't correct anything. Yes, it will keep your son from another bad experience there, but won't help prevent someone else from going through the same thing. For all the restaurant knows, you just moved away.

You need to write down the entire sequence of events, including previous visits and conversations as well as the symptoms you posted here. Mail it to the local manager and corporate headquarters. Too many people just don't understand the consequences of their carelessness, and hopefully you can wake them up! B)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

i ate ther recently too, in CT, and I was glutened also. I even ordered off the "Gluten-free" menu. I had a plain filet, sweet potato and veggies with no seasoning. I guess it was cross contamination. Good luck to you

found by accident during an endoscopy for GERD/PUD in June 2006. Biopsy positive X2. IgA/glutein blood test confirmed July 2006. Have GERD (prevacid) and Gallstones too!