Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sickchick

"flour" Tortillas...

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with making them gluten free? "flour" type

I am going to try and I am going to buy one of those tortilla presses. I used to make

my own corn tortillas and they were so delicious (and super easy!)

Fresh just always wails over store-bought lol as long as it's not too complicared I don't mind making it ;):lol: hehehe Once I made a batch with chilis and lime juice and they were sssssssssssssso good

Also... Iam gonna sign up for a blog and start experimenting and posting my successful recipes on it for all the other gluten frees to have access to! I will link it in my signature when I get set up a little later today!

lovelove

sickchick B)

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with making them gluten free? "flour" type

I am going to try and I am going to buy one of those tortilla presses. I used to make

my own corn tortillas and they were so delicious (and super easy!)

Fresh just always wails over store-bought lol as long as it's not too complicared I don't mind making it ;):lol: hehehe Once I made a batch with chilis and lime juice and they were sssssssssssssso good

Also... Iam gonna sign up for a blog and start experimenting and posting my successful recipes on it for all the other gluten frees to have access to! I will link it in my signature when I get set up a little later today!

lovelove

sickchick B)

sickchick,

I am sure that others will be interested in your blog of recipies. According to Celiac.com Board Rules, you may post your blog link on your personal profile page. It is not allowed in your signature. Please review the board rules. ;)

Good luck and happy cooking.

I tried to make "flour" tortillas.

I almost never got that pan clean. Anyone surprised? :rolleyes:

If you find a recipe that is fairly simple and you try it and succeed, please let me know.

-Julie

I have one of those electric tortilla presses and it works realy well. There are a lot of recipes in different cookbooks for tortillas, but I'm for easy. I use Kinnikinnick Pizza crust mix and mix it according to the directions on the package but I omit the yeast. I use a greased cookie scoop to make balls of dough and deposit them on a greased cookie sheet or platter. Then with greased hands, I pick up each ball and gently flatten it out into a disk about 3 or 4 inches wide, place in the middle of the press and close the lid and press in little spurts. Walla, it makes a beautiful tortilla. I use them for tacos, or spread with fillings and meat and cheese and roll up tight and then slice for pinwheel hordeurves. They also make good wraps just to put sandwich fillings in. They store well in the fridge or freezer with wax paper between each; but like most gluten free things, (and even regular tortillas for that matter) they need to be nuked a few seconds to make them nice and pliable. I have even cut them in narrow strips and deep fried them as kind of snack chip like you see in some restaurants.

The electric tortilla presses aren't available in most stores in my area, but you can buy them on ebay.

Good luck!

Kay

On another forum, we were having a discussion on this very topic. Someone was having difficulty using her manual tortilla press for gluten-free tortillas and someone else said that her electric press worked well.

Now, I just have to find one. Katydid, what brand do you have?

On another forum, we were having a discussion on this very topic. Someone was having difficulty using her manual tortilla press for gluten-free tortillas and someone else said that her electric press worked well.

Now, I just have to find one. Katydid, what brand do you have?

I have an older tortilla press thats called "Santa Fe Wrap Master" and its made by Salton. I don't think they make them anymore, but you might be able to find one used on ebay.

Then I also have another press that made by Villaware. The only reason I bought another one is that the Villaware will make 10" tortillas where the my older one would only make 8" ones; and I have a quesadilla maker that takes a 10" tortilla.

I really like them both; and would never make tortillas if I had to use a hand press or a skillet. Of the two, I think the older one is more user friendly, but that's probably just because its smaller.

Good Luck!

Kay

:lol: Cool beans Kay! I'll just keep practicing!

thanks!

sickchick

Good info.! I'll place it on my "other appliance/gadgets to buy" list. I'm slowly amassing all kinds of stuff. I REALLY want some good flour tortillas.

Hey, but I found out the other day I really like the corn tortillas better if I toast them. I ended up making mini pizzas. It wasn't delicious, but it was lunch (and I could do it before the baby pitched a fit)!

Thanks for the tips. -Julie :)

Hi!

I just made a batch of "sandwich wraps" that were easy and tastey. I do not have a tortilla press (although I would love to have one) so this is what I did:

1 package Chebe pizza mix

(follow regular directions which include, eggs, oil, milk and optional cheese) I added:

A bunch of parmesean cheese (maybe like 1/4 C.)

2T pamela's baking mix

2T flax seed meal

enough milk to blend it into a smooth dough.

Then I cut a big ziploc bag on 3 sides, put a golf ball size piece of dough between the plastic and roll out pretty thin. This is pretty sturdy dough so can be pealed off the plastic without too much trouble.

Heat a fring pan on med. heat on stove. Sray hot pan with a tiny bit of cooking spray then cook tortilla until lightly browned on one side then the other. Don't over cook or these will get crispy. I keptthe cooked ones under a towel so they did not dry out. They are not too sticky so did not stick to each other. When cooled I stuck them in a baggie in the firdge.

My kids loved them with melted cheese but I think they would also make really good quick pizza's if put on a cookie sheet, topped with sauce, cheese, etc. and baked briefly.

Let me know if you try this and if you have any improvements to this idea!

Happy cooking!

Barb

Thanks Barb! :)

I am a terrible gadget queen. I love them in the kitchen.

But, my cupboards have reached overflowing with gadgets. If you are gadget challenged like me try cutting a gallon zipper bag up the sides, cut off the zipper and then with it still folded in half put the dough ball in the center and with a large bread board apply even heavy pressure. Viola. My dh can't ask where we will put that gadget.

I tried it it works pretty well.

Shhh, but I'd love a press.

Good info.! I'll place it on my "other appliance/gadgets to buy" list. I'm slowly amassing all kinds of stuff. I REALLY want some good flour tortillas.

Hey, but I found out the other day I really like the corn tortillas better if I toast them. I ended up making mini pizzas. It wasn't delicious, but it was lunch (and I could do it before the baby pitched a fit)!

Thanks for the tips. -Julie :)

Try this out. Toast a corn tortilla, spread with whipped cream cheese and top with warm pepperoni. Simple and tasty! Would make a quick appitizer.