Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cat5

Lack Of Fiber Causing Loss Of Ummmpppphhh

Well, since I have seen others post about "Bathroom" issues, I guess its okay, so here goes...

I am newly diagnosed with Celiac so perhaps this is all part of the healing processes too, but my problem is that I seem to have lost the "ummmppphhh" or ~push~ for lack of a better way of describing it when going "Number 2"!

(BM's).

Its like, I've Got to go Now, but then its difficult. This is something I might expect during the winter months when I don't eat as many fresh fruits and veggies, but I'm eating grapes, watermelons, canteloups, 'cukes and 'maters, squash etc. and all sorts of things that I think Should help the Pooh make a good Exit, but it isn't. I'm to the point now of searching out a gluten-free stool softener.

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks

Check the fiber content of the fruits & veggies you are eating. I don't think the ones you mention are particularly good sources.

Try googling to find list of fiber sources and see what you like.

Also you might try magnesium supplementation. That can help and it is also a mineral of particular importance to those who have been malabsorbing their food.

I wouldn't turn to a stool softener unless all else failed. Before that, try eliminating dairy. This is a major constipating factor for many people. Perhaps the gluten counterbalanced it before in your case?

If you find you are consuming plenty of fiber (after looking at the tables), have taken magnesium and eliminated dairy and still have problems -- then a fiber supplement would probably be healthier. (My problem has always been the big C, so I guess I am well aware of the problems one can get into with dependence on laxatives.)

You don't mention how long you've been gluten free. It seems to be common that it takes a few months for at least some folks systems to start working normally.

I have had this problem off and on for months now (even before I went gluten free), and I eat an average of 35g of fiber a day (about 1/4 of that is from a supplement). I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough fiber, but I still have periods where I feel like everything is backed up and my morning BMs are much smaller. For me it tends to coincide with other symptoms (gas, abdominal pain). Miralax has helped me before, but it doesn't necessarily work right away (can day a day or two to kick in), and I don't want to be taking it daily all the time.

I eat psyllium husk (they come in a pill form so you don't have to gag on the drink) I take a couple a day and it helps with my diahrrea and constipation ( I have either, or...) also I like to add ground flax seed to applesauce or yogurt! :) hope you find help soon!

sickchick

If you find you really need to take a supplement, you could try Colon Cleanse. You can buy it online or at Trader Joes, or any healthfood store. Also, how many gluten free replacement foods are you eating? I find that before I went gluten free, I was no longer eating the "high fiber" cereals, etc. so it can be hard to get things going.

Kassandra