Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisaemtp

How Long Gluten Free Before...

I decided that the best option for me would be to just go gluten-free and see how I feel. I've been gluten-free for a week now, and i feel really good! I only had one problem this week - we went out to dinner with my boyfriend's family, and I had bad PMS and decided I really needed a bite of his brownie - and I felt miserable all night. Since then I've been very good, and I've had none of my previous symptoms.

My question is, how long should I be gluten-free before I "challenge" with gluten? Last week was rough, between eating out and PMS and I want to do this right so I get an accurate response. Is it normal to be feeling (mostly) better after only a week, or is it just a coincidence?

Another question - Enterolab isn't in my budget, but if I decide to do it later (after being gluten-free) will the tests still be accurate? Or is it like blood tests, where you have to be eating gluten? I would like a more "official" diagnosis than dietary response, but I'm not willing to keep eating gluten and making myself suffer for six weeks while I wait to get in to see the doctor.

Thanks!

Lisa

I'd wait at least two months before doing a gluten challenge, and then eating plenty of gluten (no going light on this one) for a week.

As for enterolab - they say that they can detect antibodies for up to a year of being on a gluten free diet, but I probably wouldn't wait that long.

If you're going to challenge gluten (or any food) you need to be 100% off of it for at least two weeks. I'd say a month anyway. Then add it back it taking great care in noting any changes in your body, digestive, mood.....etc.

Enterolab says they can test for up to a year after being gluten free. I'd say it depends on if you had more damage to start out with. You don't really need to do enterolab if the challenge tells you your body doesn't like it. I do like the gene test myself though.

It's been about a month and a half for me, and next weekend I'm going to start eating gluten. My bloodwork came back negative, so this is the true test for me. I have been feeling better, but I need to test it to make sure it is the lack of gluten and not something else in my diet or life that is making me feel better. The first couple of weeks were very up and down for me... feeling better was gradual. And I'm still not great yet, but better than I was.