Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gabyy

Egd Results

Hi everyone,

I just got partial egd results and already have some questions!

To recap my stroy, I have had severely low ferritin levels for years. My PCP ran the celiac blood panel on me last year - it was negative. When my ferritin levels dropped again this year after being on iron supplements, I was referred to a gi doctor. The only stomach sI have are bloating and occasional heartburn.

The gi doctor decided to do an egd and colonoscopy. He wanted to rule out celiac, chron's, and ulcerative colitis. Right after the egd/colo, he told me that everything looked normal except for some mild gastritis, and the appearance of the intestinal tissue was normal. He told me that it would take three to four weeks for the final pathology on the intestines to be in, and to schedule an appointment for next month. He also told me that if the biopsy was negative, he would refer me to a hematologist.

Today I got a phone message (I always miss the important calls!) from my gi doc's nurse that my biopsy results were in and that they were abnormal. The nurse then said that they were abnormal due to inflammation. She said she was sending a lab slip in the mail because I would need additional blood work. She also said I needed to come in for an appointment next week. So I of course called back, but was only able to leave a message for them to call me back.

I looked on the internet and found that celiac disease can cause inflammation that then leads to destruction of the villi. Also, I found that for Chron's disease the main symptom is inflammation. So I guess my quesrtion is has anyone been told that the biopsy was positive for inflammation and what did that mean? Is inflammation enough to diagnose celiac? Does anyone here have Chron's also? (I have NO symptoms of chron's disease).

I guess I will find out more if I get a call back, and will definately know more when I see the doc! But the waiting is already difficult and its only been a few hours. If anyone has ANY info, I would really appreciate it!!

Inflammation and some changes in cells can indicate celiac. When my DD had her biopsies done they found inflammation and what the GI doctor called early celiac changes in her mucosal lining. While I can not of course tell you with certainty that that is what was found in your biopsies it is a common finding for us.

As for the Chrons issue, it is highly unlikely with no GI symptoms other than the ones you mentioned that you have Chrons. Chrons is generally a very painful disease, to my knowledge, there may be exceptions to this but I haven't heard of 'silent' chrons, 'silent' celiac is not uncommon especially when you consider that in our society 'tummy' problems are considered normal and part of our life. Just look at the pharmacopia of tummy meds you can get over the counter. I considered myself to have a normal GI system until I had been gluten-free for a while. I thought gas, bloating, and occasional C or D were normal for everyone when I was younger. It is not.

I hope you get things figured out and that you get your report from the doctor soon. If you are not working you may want to ask to be put on the 'cancelation list' so that if someone else cancels an earlier appointment you can slide in that day.

Meanwhile have you given the diet a strict try? Now that you have had blood work and biopsies done by the doctors it may be the time to let your body tell you what it needs. A couple of months on a strict gluten-free diet and then a short challenge may tell you all you need to know. Also be sure to get blood work done on a regular basis, every 3 to 6 months, once you are on the diet to check and see if those levels go up.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

I was able to speak to my doctor's nurse today. She read the biopsy results to me "inflamatory changes to the small intestine, consistent with Celiac disease". She then said that only the doctor could officially diagnose me, but it sounded like I had Celiac disease. The doctor also ordered a CBC, ferritin, celiac panel, and I think folate, b12, and calcium levels to be done before my appointment. My actual appointment is not for two weeks due to my schedule. So I will continue to eat gluten until I get my bloodwork done, and may contine to eat gluten until my appointment. This will be hard for me. I love gluten, and since I don't have many gi symptoms, I probably won't feel much different once I stop eating the gluten. Its going to be hard to stay on the diet.Thanks for your help, I will continue to post here for support.

Erin

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

I was able to speak to my doctor's nurse today. She read the biopsy results to me "inflamatory changes to the small intestine, consistent with Celiac disease". She then said that only the doctor could officially diagnose me, but it sounded like I had Celiac disease. The doctor also ordered a CBC, ferritin, celiac panel, and I think folate, b12, and calcium levels to be done before my appointment. My actual appointment is not for two weeks due to my schedule. So I will continue to eat gluten until I get my bloodwork done, and may contine to eat gluten until my appointment. This will be hard for me. I love gluten, and since I don't have many gi symptoms, I probably won't feel much different once I stop eating the gluten. Its going to be hard to stay on the diet.Thanks for your help, I will continue to post here for support.

Erin

Erin.....I think once you find out how easy it is to find replacements for most all of the gluten-free stuff you eat, you'll find it very easy to adopt this lifestyle. It's really not a diet, it's the correct way to eat.

I also think you may not realize how many symptoms you really have that are attributable to gluten. I had weird things happening that I never connected to celiac disease and they have disappeared for good. There's many an epiphany moment during the healing process.

I made eggplant parmesan and calzone for dinner the other night and my gluten eating husband raved about it. There isn't much I haven't been able to replace.