Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ConnieA84

Gluten Free Yogurt

Hello,

My name is Connie and this is my first time on the Gluten Free Forum. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago and am still trying to get the hang of the gluten free life. My question is does anyone who which store bought yogurts are Gluten Free I seem to be getting conflicking advice...

P.S. I am canadian if that makes a difference,

Thanks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome Connie,

You have found yourself in a wonderful place to learn about Celiac.

Yoplait Yogurt is gluten free and is now begun to label Gluten Free.

EDIT: Of course, minus the cookies and cream and crumbs, etc...

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Great Value (the Walmart store brand) states on the container that it is gluten free. Actually, I think most yogurts are gluten free but it is always smart to read the ingredient label. Look for the usual hidden sources of gluten, terms that disguise wheat/barley/rye or their derivitives. If one of the ingredients is "modified food" starch and the yogurt is produced in the USA it is most likely from corn but to be absolutely safe contact the manufacturer. I contacted Safeway Stores about their store brand yogurt and it is gluten free.

Steve

Join eNewsletter

Great Value (the Walmart store brand) states on the container that it is gluten free. Actually, I think most yogurts are gluten free but it is always smart to read the ingredient label. Look for the usual hidden sources of gluten, terms that disguise wheat/barley/rye or their derivitives. If one of the ingredients is "modified food" starch and the yogurt is produced in the USA it is most likely from corn but to be absolutely safe contact the manufacturer. I contacted Safeway Stores about their store brand yogurt and it is gluten free.

Steve

Does anyone know if the PC Blue Menu yogurt from Loblaws is gluten free? I thought so but I felt sick this morning so I'm no longer sure...

Join eNewsletter

Hi, Connie,

Yoplait and Mountain High...

For anyone already putting in time in the kitchen for something else, yogurt is easy to make as you prepare other things. Takes a few minutes, and then it sits on the counter (I wrap mine up in old towels and put it in a big stockpot with a lid...no special yogurt machine is needed).

Somewhere in the memory of this site there have to be recipes for making yogurt but if there's interest I'll put one again in the baking and cooking forum. Connie, the very best starter for homemade yogurt that I've found is a Canadian one, which has no gluten in it, Yogourmet (I follow the recipe on the packets). Let me know if you're interested & I'll post a detail or two about technique...

You did ask for storebought, I know. Most weeks I go for storebought, too, time being what it is.

Does any one else use Brown Cow brand? The kinds of it I buy are free of gluten, and I like the taste. For me it's a taste competitor with Yoplait... It started out showing up in our health food stores but now some of our more general supermarkets are stocking it part of the time.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter