Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My enterolab results showed that i cannot tolerate casein. My question is.........does that mean it is okay for me to take a whey protein supplement (NOW Brand). It is Gluten free, sugar free, and soy free. What are the major foods that contain casein. Can i never have chocolate? Thanks

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The protein in whey is lactalbumin (casein is the curd), but the CC risk is pretty high.

I eat chocolate with "may contain traces of milk" warnings every once in awhile. My main casein symptom is a horrible acne break out and upscale dark chocolate doesn't break me out.

I could take or leave chocolate. It's cheese I really miss. I read a study out of Europe where two years on a casein free diet cured the casein intolerance (not so for gluten - same study). I'm going to eventually do a dairy challenge and see what happens. I know Dr. Fine would disagree with that decision, though!

gluten-free May 17, 2007; casein-light since June 2007

Dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant by Enterolab. Family doc dx'ed "gluten sensitive" after dietary response. DQ 6 & DQ 7

8 year old daughter dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant & malabsorption by Enterolab and has been GFCL since June 12, 2007. Excellent response to diet, including growth! Tummyaches & irritability are gone! DQ 5 & DQ 6

Husband has DQ 5 (elementary, my dear Watson!). Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant by diet response and challenge.

Join eNewsletter

The protein in whey is lactalbumin (casein is the curd), but the CC risk is pretty high.

I eat chocolate with "may contain traces of milk" warnings every once in awhile. My main casein symptom is a horrible acne break out and upscale dark chocolate doesn't break me out.

I could take or leave chocolate. It's cheese I really miss. I read a study out of Europe where two years on a casein free diet cured the casein intolerance (not so for gluten - same study). I'm going to eventually do a dairy challenge and see what happens. I know Dr. Fine would disagree with that decision, though!

Would a gluten free whey protein powder be okay then, since it isnt casein, or is the CC gonna get me?

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Join eNewsletter

Casein is a name for all forms of dairy. Whey IS a form of dairy so you shouldn't have it if you're casein free.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

Would a gluten free whey protein powder be okay then, since it isnt casein, or is the CC gonna get me?

My advice is to go off dairy completely (including whey) for awhile before you try something like that. Then you'll know if you are reacting to it. You won't be casein-free if you eat whey. You'd be more like casein-lite.

gluten-free May 17, 2007; casein-light since June 2007

Dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant by Enterolab. Family doc dx'ed "gluten sensitive" after dietary response. DQ 6 & DQ 7

8 year old daughter dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant & malabsorption by Enterolab and has been GFCL since June 12, 2007. Excellent response to diet, including growth! Tummyaches & irritability are gone! DQ 5 & DQ 6

Husband has DQ 5 (elementary, my dear Watson!). Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant by diet response and challenge.

Join eNewsletter

I read a study out of Europe where two years on a casein free diet cured the casein intolerance (not so for gluten - same study). I'm going to eventually do a dairy challenge and see what happens. I know Dr. Fine would disagree with that decision, though!

Oooh, I'd love to see that study! Do you have a reference for it? I've been Gluten-free Casein-free for almost 2 years and recently took a trip to France where I decided, heck with it, I'm eating French cheese! And much to my surprise, I didn't get the skin reaction that casein has always given me in the past. I still had some VERY minor stomach issues that I suspect were due to lactose (mainly because they were stronger for actual milk than for cheese) and I'm back to CF for the time being, but this experience made me wonder if I might be able to add some small amounts of dairy to my diet eventually.

Jeanne

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter