This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cute Little Tea Shop

Kiki

Kiki Explorer

So anyway, I am a waitress for a small tea shop in Long Island New York, I've only been working there for about 2 months. It is not a gluten-free place but they serve tea sandwiches and fresh pasteries and cakes and cookies and scones and the boss asked why I never pick on the home made stuff that they serve, well i explained and she asked if I had any literature... Luckily haha I have quite a bit so I gave her my Gluten Free for Dummies Book. She is reading it and said that she is going to start experimenting with some recipies, her exact quote " I am very interested in expanding my business to be Gluten Free" I told her and I dont think she beleived me but if she does go Gluten Free her business could almost double once word is out, Anyone else agree? Haha I could just be being naive but it is such a unique place that gluten-free people would jump at the oppurtunity. Anyway just wanted to know what people thought. I think that it is terrific the more people like that out there means better eating options for us!!!!! Yayyy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yeah, that's a great idea...and you can help her with the recipes and the marketing to the gluten-free community...how fun :). Keep us posted.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Unless you have very little business, are in an area with little competition for gluten free patrons, have a lot of gluten free people in the area, and do a lot of advertising, I think it's unlikely that you would *double* your business. But done right, it certainly provides the opportunity to increase business, particularly over time. A couple things that I would suggest:

1) if you have a website, note on the website not just that you can accommodate allergy restrictions, but have gluten (and/or dairy free) restrictions

2) make notes on the menu (or menu board) that every customer can see, so that when people who aren't gluten free, but know people who are, see it, they can recommend the place to their friends

3) have more than two token offerings

4) be willing to declare all ingredients on those items

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Where in Long Island? It's not in Bayshore is it? I went to a bridal shower about a year and a half ago at this adorable tea type place in Bayshore. I forget the name of it... I think it was something with Milk in the name.

I live in Westchester, but spend a lot of time on Long Island because my in-laws and a lot of my friends live there. (actually was out there today at my inlaws).

I love tea, and if there was a quaint little tea shop where I could go for a snack while I am out on Long Island, I would definately check it out.

Have you been to Mama's in Oakdale? It is AMAZING!!!

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

Please say the shop is near Long Beach or at least in Nassau County so I can go there.

Archived