Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

Update On Ss

Well we had our ss retested for celiac on friday and to see if he is anemic. The anemic test came back negative, which is good, now its just an waiting game for 2 weeks to get the celiac panel back, i hate this waiting game. He also saw his psychatrist this weekend and she feels he is bipolar and has put him on lithium, so yesterday we had to go check his thyroid and we will have answers to those test today. I have been up and down deciding on if he really needs lithium, or if he just needs to strictly follow the gluten free lifestyle, and i know he wont follow it. But we can not have his behaviour continue the way it is.

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

have you tried the gluten-free diet? its hard, but if it helps your son stay off any medication (i think you have to do it b4 you start the medicine) then you'll be able to see straight away if its gluten or not! Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

yes we have but he is 14 and it is so hard to get him to follow it, that is why we wanted to retest for celiac once again and do it threw blood then we can get into an gi dr.

Hubby and I have decided to wait for all test to come in before even thinking of the med. Since hypothyroidism is common when on lithium.

In my heart i know its more celiac then bipolar.

thanks for your response.

paula

Join eNewsletter

i didn't realise he was 14 - tough age to be different! Why don't you try to give him his supper, and therefore your supper, a naturally gluten free meal, potatoes, rice in all its variations, and if he is off one meal, you might be able to see a difference in his behaviour in the evening... I hope for your sake <_<

Join eNewsletter

Paula,

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with this. Is he for or against medicine? I know when I was 14 I would rather be on a gluten free diet than take lithium! He may rather take a pill than be on a gluten-free diet since it would be easier for him short term. I can't remember...have you guys tried family therapy? (I don't mean to overstep any boundaries...feel free to ignore the question.) I'm thinking an intervention type thing may be helpful.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

i didn't realise he was 14 - tough age to be different! Why don't you try to give him his supper, and therefore your supper, a naturally gluten free meal, potatoes, rice in all its variations, and if he is off one meal, you might be able to see a difference in his behaviour in the evening... I hope for your sake <_<

He does eat an gluten free dinner, the whole family does. But he eats what he wants for lunch and snacks, and he gets up in the middle of the night and has gluten full foods. On weekends when i was having him completely gluten free he would be fine, but once i take my eye off of him, he is back at it.

14 is such an hard age, to be honest i dont think i would of followed the diet at 14 either.

paula

Join eNewsletter

Paula,

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with this. Is he for or against medicine? I know when I was 14 I would rather be on a gluten free diet than take lithium! He may rather take a pill than be on a gluten-free diet since it would be easier for him short term. I can't remember...have you guys tried family therapy? (I don't mean to overstep any boundaries...feel free to ignore the question.) I'm thinking an intervention type thing may be helpful.

Kassandra

he says he will take the meds if it will get his anger under control. But im thinking he will think the pill will allow him to eat gluten, which will not help the gluten.

He does see counseling for anger issues, his mom abonded him when he was 3, then was in and out of his life. And now hasnt seen him in 16 months, and maybe calls once every other month. My hubby also sees the counselor. I am an counselor. We have family talks all the time to get threw to him, and he will just cry or not talk..

I really hope the scope will just came back positive and he will stick to it.

Last night when i told him his results were back and the point to celiac once again, he said well can i quit eating it again, and i was like no you have to wait for the scope, and he was like dang. He has tons of mouth sores, really bad bags under his eyes and always tired. But i know its best to get the scope and then go from there. I know if i just tell him ok go gluten free we will be back to square one again in a few weeks or months, and after this time i never want to do an gluten challenge with him, cause it is so hard on the whole family.

I hope this all makes sense i got glutened today and suffering from brain fog as i type

paula

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter