Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marc

Underweight

I find it quite surprising that most people these days deal with having such a high weight. Without telling too much, I can say that I'm the only mid-teenaged boy I know who only weighs 98 pounds. It doesn't bother me that much as my height makes up for it, but I'm wondering if it is unhealthy or not. Most of my peers are about 120 or so. Before I was diagnosed with Celiac, I only weighed 55 pounds, but after a year of gluten-free, I gained 40 pounds and a bit more than a foot of height!

Still, my incredible growth spurt has slowed, and I think it was a combination of natural processes and gluten-free-ness. But I am still underweight! Is this a medical problem in any way?

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm the only grown woman that I know that weighs 98 pounds too. But really it's not about what other people weigh. It's about what's healthy for you and your body. You have to learn what that is for you and you're still young and growing. You may have another growth spurt. These things tend to come and go. I had a final short growth spurt when I went off to college. You may have another one sooner. Being healthy is what's most important. Only your doctor can say if this is a medical problem for you. It sounds like you're doing well. But if you have any continuing intestinal problems or feel unwell you should bring it up with your doctor.

Congratulations on being gluten-free one year. That's an accomplishment.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter