Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momof2sn

Chex Mix Supstitute

Hey all,

I was wanting to know if anyone knows of a chex mix substitue or has a recipe. It is one of my sons favorites and would like to replace it??

What about a lactose free butter or even a low lactose butter? Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks

Son - 8/2001- Asthma 2003, ADHD & PDD-2006, Eosiniphilic Esophigitis & GERD-2007, Endoscopy & Neg. antibody panel 2007. Positive HLA-DQ8

Daughter - 7/2005 - Duarte Galactosemia 2005, Esophigitis & GERD- 2007, Endoscopy 2007, Neg.Biopsy, Positive antibody panel, HLA-DQ8, Official Celiac Diagnosis 5-1-07, gluten free since 4-28-07, Tic Disorder

Husband- Positive Gene testing HLA-DQ8, 9-2007, Negative antibody panel 10-07, must be carrier only

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know about the Chex mix, but instead of butter, why not use a dairy-free margarine (if he can have soy). If you google you'll get a few brands, but I know Fleischmann's UNsalted is casein-free.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

We use Health Valley's Corn and Rice Crunch'ems for "chex" mix. Can't tell the difference. Instead of butter, I use oil - olive, safflower, canola or grapeseed. It works just fine in the recipe.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

We use Health Valley's Corn and Rice Crunch'ems for "chex" mix. Can't tell the difference. Instead of butter, I use oil - olive, safflower, canola or grapeseed. It works just fine in the recipe.

Liz,

Could you give me an idea of proportions? I usually am good about improvising, but this is exactly the type of thing that makes me nervous-- I don't want the cereal to get soggy! :P

Could you post or pm your recipe? I'd soooo appreciate it!

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Liz,

Could you give me an idea of proportions? I usually am good about improvising, but this is exactly the type of thing that makes me nervous-- I don't want the cereal to get soggy! :P

Could you post or pm your recipe? I'd soooo appreciate it!

Party Mix

1/3 C butter or oil

2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins in US)

1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt

1 tsp garlic powder

4-1/2 C Corn Crunch'ems

4-1/2 C Rice Crunch'ems

1 C mixed nuts

1 C Glutino or Ener-G pretzels

1 C broken rice crackers (optional)

1. Heat oven to 250

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Perfect, thank you!!

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Hi!

I'm so glad you asked b/c I make a mix that my whole family just loves.

1 bag of PerkyOs

2 C of nuts

1 C of sesame seeds

Raisins (optional)

Chocolate chips (optional)

1/3 c olive oil

2 T sugar

2 T curry powder

2 t ground ginger

salt

Preheat oven to 350F. In large mixing bowl combine PerkyOs, nuts, and sesame seeds. You really can put this in any proportion that you like...I just throw handfuls at will. In a small measuring cup, add 1/3 c of oil (you can use whatever you can tolerate...canola, vegetable, olive), heaping measurements of curry powder, ginger, sugar, salt. Stir with fork and pour over dry mixture. Fold well to thoroughly coat dry mixture. Spread mixture onto baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.

After toasting, let cool to room temperature, store in airtight container, and add raisins, chocolate chips if you wish. You can adjust the spices to fit your taste and even add a dash of red cayenne pepper to heat it up.

I also use this mixture on air popped popcorn (I reduce the portion) and it's delicious. My husband loves it and he can't stand the taste of untoasted PerkyOs...must be nice to have other options. :lol:

Enjoy!

Kim

Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.

Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.