• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Bravie

Symptoms Lead Me To Believe That I May Be Suffering From Something Else Too

Rate this topic

I've been eating gluten/casein free for about 3 months (gluten free for 7 months, i got rid of dairy 3 months ago) and I still have some symptoms. I still get bloated sometimes and my stomach hurts every now and then. But even after going gluten and dairy free, I still have symptoms. Could I be suffering from something else too? I no longer have medical coverage to see about the symtpoms I have.

I was gluten-free/cf for yrs and still miserable until I started treating the celiac-caused (I believe) candida overgrowth.

If you can, eat simpler foods and keep a food/symptom diary. There may be leaky-gut-induced intolerances.

It could be soy also. I didnt start feeling really good until i gave up soy. Many will react to soy cause we give up casein and gluten and replace with stuff that has soy. I would give up soy for at least 6 weeks and see if u feel better, if not start an elimation diet.

paula

It could be soy also. I didnt start feeling really good until i gave up soy. Many will react to soy cause we give up casein and gluten and replace with stuff that has soy. I would give up soy for at least 6 weeks and see if u feel better, if not start an elimation diet.

paula

i agree.....you may want to lay out what you are eating for us; as well for yourself--and try rotating. this will get you better adjusted to how your body reacts to certain foods that you continually eat alone, by themselves. remember you don't just one day heal. it's pretty much that you figure out how to heal--by elimnating and adjusting levels of how much of this and how much of that......it's a real science experiment i can't fathom how "normal" people control with their eating habits :P

Okay, here's what I eat, in a nutshell:

-Almond milk (blue diamond and sometimes, i make my own almond milk too)

-Gluten free/dairy free cereal

-fruit

-vegetables

-rice/rice pasta/pinto beans

-yogurt (sometimes i eat yogurt, it doesnt bother me though)

-chicken/turkey/beef/pork

-gel snacks (gluten/casein free)

-organic gluten free/casein free french fries

-organic fruit juices/tea/water

That's about it. I keep a mini food diary as well. I found that soy milk bothered me, so i stopped drinking it. Almond milk seems to easy for me to digest

Okay, here's what I eat, in a nutshell:

-Almond milk (blue diamond and sometimes, i make my own almond milk too)

-Gluten free/dairy free cereal

-fruit

-vegetables

-rice/rice pasta/pinto beans

-yogurt (sometimes i eat yogurt, it doesnt bother me though)

-chicken/turkey/beef/pork

-gel snacks (gluten/casein free)

-organic gluten free/casein free french fries

-organic fruit juices/tea/water

That's about it. I keep a mini food diary as well. I found that soy milk bothered me, so i stopped drinking it. Almond milk seems to easy for me to digest

Potatoes are bothersome to me at times, which stinks because I love fries!!! (:

As someone else mentioned, it does take some time to heal and you could just be feeling the residual results from your body healing up. I think at four months out I started to have stretches of feeling great.

Best wishes,

Terri

i think you got to take a deeper look at things. there may be even ingredients within these foods you eat (unless you prepare them) if they are packaged stuff. i found that i do well with fish (just fish so far, and now figured out salt and a safflower that will work--mmmm tasty) that i buy from the organic store and not the stuf from Krogers which is frozen and in pre-packaged mass produced bulks, even though it says it is just fish and maybe salt or some other ingredient. wild huh? i realized i had to eat somethings 3 times a day few days in a row switch to some other things, go back just to recognize what it will do to my body. you must obey your body--if something you are eating bothers it you maybe cannot eat that something.

Yes, I prepare most of the food myself and I check the labels well...But what I donot understand is that sometimes, when i'm not even eating, my stomach begins to hurt. I have a super big appetite, but my stomach aches keep me from eating sometimes. I've been to the doctor to check to see if I had inflammatory bowel disease or even stomach cancer, all came back negative earlier this year. I'm just really confused and quite annoyed...

I agree with the good advice already offered. Here's a few other thoughts:

You might consider whether you have parasites. A few others on the forum have used a product called Humaworm. I haven't got that as yet, but tried a three day diet of pineapple, plus garlic and pumpkin seeds. I saw enough to convince me clearly that I need to do a full treatment. Also just remember that 70% of parasites you won't see as they are microscopic.

I think that our compromised gut leaves us even more susceptible to candida as well as these other beasties.

I've also seen people refer to colon cleansing, and read some things on a product called colonix or something like that. A major ingredient is psyllium seed, which is a high fiber, and helps to clean the lining of the intestine. The stories from people are really fascinating. Warning: the pictures are pretty graphic, be prepared.

Then, have you been checked for h. pylori? This is the organism that causes ulcers.

The last thing is that some of us on the board have celiac and lyme disease, or gluten sensitivity perhaps secondary to lyme disease. Some of the lyme organisms attack the gut and can act very similar to celiac. You can check out the lyme disease thread on the forum.

Blue Diamond almond milk has soy lechitin in it. Try switching to rice milk for now.

If eliminating soy doesn't help, then eliminate nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant). Within four days of eliminating potatoes, I felt better. That was definitely the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

Yes, I prepare most of the food myself and I check the labels well...But what I donot understand is that sometimes, when i'm not even eating, my stomach begins to hurt. I have a super big appetite, but my stomach aches keep me from eating sometimes. I've been to the doctor to check to see if I had inflammatory bowel disease or even stomach cancer, all came back negative earlier this year. I'm just really confused and quite annoyed...

i guess it depends on what kind of pain you are having. i found that different foods cause different kinds of pains. some burns, some burrows, some constricts, some contracts, some gets me all spiked in my bladder so i just pee and pee, while some itch, some bloat, some feel like they are going to burst my appendix!!!!

i have not really had these things come from nowhere though since i started gluten free (for the most part). though there is still times, but usually when i eat the wrong things, things i can't handle. never though keeps me from eating. i usually feel like i'm starving so i overeat then D and do it again and again.

i'm leaning towards a candida here. you may want to cut carbs, sugar, yeast, for a week and see if that helps. plain meats and veggies. i have had personal awful experiences with seasonings even. i use salt as i said. i'm slowly introducing carbs back; quinoa is delicious. i'm still skeptical about rice through. i have tried potatoes but tried other things at the same time......? i was just so ravenous!!! i ate everything in site.

i'll bet you cut them carbs and sugars, and after a die off you'll get a real aptetite; then you just have to hang in there trying to figure out what feeds that apetite. right down to brands--one will work while another of the same won't

keep in mind you ever have a cut hurt and hurt, or a bruise--'it has to hurt if it is going to heal'

It really could be possible that you have something else besides Celiac. If you want the story of what I've been going through with the mystery pains just go through some of my old posts. I think that'll give you a good idea. Maybe it is just as simple as a hidden food allergy, and I agree with everyone here that elimination will likely help you discover which food is triggering off symptoms.

~ Lisa ~

Elimination Diet + Food Diary = figuring out what is bothering you without a doctor's help.

If you are eating yogurt you are not dairy-free, and may be suffering delayed reactions.

Nightshades, soy, rice, legumes (beans, peanuts) can all be troublesome.