Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The other night I bought some Chap Block Lip Balm from my local CVS store and I heard that some cosmetic products can contain gluten. Here are the Active ingredients: Padimate and Petrolatum the first one is a sunscreen and the second is a skin protectant. Do those ingredients contain gluten? I don't hink they do but I am not sure. The inactive ingredients are: carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, D&C red no. 6 barium lake, flavor, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, methylparaben, mineral oil, paraffin, propylparaben, white wax. I don't think these ingredients have gluten either but since I am not sure I want to ask everybody here incase they know of one or more that contain or might contain gluten. I do not see a contact number anywhere on the little box.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It looks safe, but without having a number to call you can never be sure unless someone else has already called on the same product. I hope someone else can give you a better answer than that. :)

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

The other night I bought some Chap Block Lip Balm from my local CVS store and I heard that some cosmetic products can contain gluten. Here are the Active ingredients: Padimate and Petrolatum the first one is a sunscreen and the second is a skin protectant. Do those ingredients contain gluten? I don't hink they do but I am not sure. The inactive ingredients are: carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, D&C red no. 6 barium lake, flavor, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, methylparaben, mineral oil, paraffin, propylparaben, white wax. I don't think these ingredients have gluten either but since I am not sure I want to ask everybody here incase they know of one or more that contain or might contain gluten. I do not see a contact number anywhere on the little box.

I personally wouldn't use that product because of the paraben and the synthetic coloring, but neither of those contain gluten.

The only possible danger would be in the flavoring- not too likely, if it's a cherry or mint flavor, but still a possibility.

Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

I called up and they said that they were not 100% sure. They have a gluten free list and a list for people with Celiac to avoid but it did not appear on either. I have not had any negative reactions from using it. I was never very sensitive in the first place so I can not make a claim for those who are really sensitive. What is wrong with paraben and the synthetic coloring?