Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chlobo

Are These Common Symptoms? How Long To Resolve

For quite some time I suspected my daughter, who just turned 4, was having some sort of allergy or intolerance issue. Her most prominent symptoms are: bloated, bloated stomach (looks like a 3rd world child), excessive gas (longest toots on record), loose, although formed, pale stools and very touchy behavior - sometimes anxious, sometimes fearful, overly sensitive to smell, etc.

Anyhow, I finally had a GI test done by a chiro and it showed gluten sensitivity. We had the test repeated by enterolab to confirm the diagnosis & she showed both gluten & dairy sensitivity.

I'm wondering how long it will take for symptoms to disappear after we go totally gluten & dairy free? Are we talking weeks or months or longer? I ask so that my expectations are set properly and also so I know when to start looking for alternative problems if there is not improvement in her symptoms. i would hate if she had additional sensitivities or allergies that would prevent her from healing. I already feel guilty about not getting her tested sooner.

DD, Age 4, diagnosed gluten sensitive 11/07

DH, diagnosed gluten sensitive with malabsorption 12/07

awaiting my test results now

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It depends....how bad the damage was. My son was very severe when diagnosed and within just a few days we noticed a big difference. It took about 9 months to 1 year before symptoms completely disappeared. Typically, the lactose alergy is a a symptom of celiac and once you remove gluten and the intestines heal, your child should be able to return to lactose - it took 1.5 years before we were able to completely reintroduce lactose - milk.

I would say you should notice a difference within a few days - energy levels, etc but it may take months to a year before you see a complete symptom free child.

best of luck... you are on your way to recovery.

The "healing time" is very hard to narrow down....

every one of us has a different amount of damage done and each of us heals differently than others...

I do believe however that children will heal quite quickly for a couple of reasons.... 1) they are still growing 2) they dont have 40 years of damage to heal

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!