Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kylesmom1112

Cc W/ Formula?

I was wondering if anyone knows, has considered or confirmed the possibility of CC happening in the manufacturing process with infant formula? I have a 2 month old who is exhibiting symptoms of some form of intolerance or allergy. After reading a bunch of topics in this forum from some of you who have had babies with similar symptoms, i'm starting to wonder....

I miss chocolate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't think of a single formula that has gluten in it, I'm pretty sure they are all gluten-free. I would think they would be in a dedicated factory, but I'm not sure. What formula are you using? My last 2 kids needed Neocate b/c they react strongly to dairy and soy.

Jennifer, gluten free on and off since 2005, best I can remember sx started 2007, tTG of 4 1/13,

gallbladder out 2/13, scope 5/13 showing inconclusive damage to stomach and intestines,

tTG of 5 6/13, dx with non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity or maybe pre-Celiac, gluten free since 6/13,

appointment soon for second opinion

There are all sorts of ingredients in formula - not all of them listed (some are in too small quantity to be required on the label) - your baby could have an intolerance or allergy to any one of them. Some babies react to things even in trace quantities, so it can be really hard to pin down. You could try a different formula - I've heard this helps some babies. Some moms resort to contacting the manufacturer to ask about specific ingredients (eg "does this formula contain any ingredients derived from corn?").

It's also worth thinking about whether you're giving your baby any other stuff - like fever medication or vitamins - as these have chemicals in them that really affect some babies. For example: my sister's little boy has huge problems with stearates, which are in most vitamin compounds.

Cow's milk is commonly troublesome for little ones, so if it's a standard formula you're on (cow's milk based) this could be the problem. They usually grow out of it quite quickly, so if you're lucky in another month or two the problem might just disappear. The cow's milk in formula is processed to be partially digested for your baby, but different formula brands do this processing in different ways, so you may find another cow's milk formula that doesn't offend your little one's sensibilities, even if cow's milk is the culprit.