This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Migraines

jeanbean

jeanbean Newbie

Hi there

I am 40 and was just diagnosed with Celiac about 4 weeks ago (positive blood test) and am awaiting my biopsy scheduled in May. I used to get severe migraines weekly for years and now that I'm adjusting to my new diet, I haven't had one single episode. I wonder if there is any connection?

Also, my doctor recommended I take Bentylol (prescription) in case I ingest gluten unknowingly. He says it would help with the abdominal pain - has anyone tried this medication?

Signed,

Cold in Toronto

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I also haven't had a migraine since I went gluten free, 5 years now. I use good old pepto bismal for the stomach pain if I happen to get CC'd. It helps almost instantly and has no nasty side effects or adverse reactions other than making the stool dark for a day or two. I never even have to take a second dose. One word of caution, the script your doctor gave you needs to be confirmed as gluten free. Get the name and phone number of the maker from the fact sheet the pharmacist will give you and call the maker yourself, many pharmacists will assume something is safe and or be too busy to check.

Guest Jemenii36
Hi there

I am 40 and was just diagnosed with Celiac about 4 weeks ago (positive blood test) and am awaiting my biopsy scheduled in May. I used to get severe migraines weekly for years and now that I'm adjusting to my new diet, I haven't had one single episode. I wonder if there is any connection?

Also, my doctor recommended I take Bentylol (prescription) in case I ingest gluten unknowingly. He says it would help with the abdominal pain - has anyone tried this medication?

Signed,

Cold in Toronto

I, also, had migraines before going on the gluten free diet. I was on an anti-seizure medication to helpthe mirgraines subside. However,once i went gluten free they also went away immediately. This was one of thelargest changes i had. I have never taken nor heard of the medication but good look with it! Since you are glong gluten free i don't think you will need it tho :)

jeanbean Newbie

Thanks for your replies. I guess it's just an added perk not to have headaches. And I'll try P.Bismol instead of some pricey medication I've never heard of.

I guess having Celiac physically affects people in different ways. Well I'm still in the learning stages and it's clear that we have to educate others - in my case, my husband thinks I'm going overboard with the utensils and asking him to clean up his crumbs on the counter (he does not have Celiac). I can't seem to persuade him that we have zero tolerance, not even a crumb. I told him he should feel my pain for one day. They just don't get it.

I'm so much happier now and easier to live with. Just feeling good after a meal makes me enjoy food again.

psawyer Proficient

I had severe migraines for years. A couple of years after going gluten-free due to celiac disease, I read something about the connection and realized: Hey, I haven't had one since I went gluten-free. I have been off gluten for seven and a half years, and not one migraine in that time. Yay! :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm one of the few unlucky ones on the board who did *not* have his/her migraines go away when he/she went gluten-free, so it doesn't happen for *everyone*. :)

Annie/NM Apprentice

Just a thought, if you are having a biopsy in May you should still technically be eating gluten. They want you on it for the biopsy as well. At least my doctor did. In terms of migranes, I had them pre diagnoses a lot more frequent. I still get them but that is usually a sign of getting glutened. Hope that helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator

My migraines are also a thing of the past-- I am sure you have some relief to look forward to on that front. Thank goodness!

I also took bentyl for the IBS-- over many years I had a standing RX for it because of the IBSD-- I feel it was completely worthless. It did not stop the D or the pain. Instead I take a papaya enzyme chewable tablet that you can get OTC-- I read a study that says this enzyme can zap small amounts of gluten that accidentally get in the system. But the best for me is a warm bath.

Good luck with the biopsy results. I was in your shoes about 8 years ago. The blood results were a high positive, but then they got a negative biopsy. Should this happen to you (and it well might, esecially since it sounds like you are gluten-free now,) I hope you do continue with the gluten-free lifestyle and do still consider yourself a celiac. Please do not believe them if they say a negative biopsy means you do not have the disease. Let the gluten-free diet be your guide. I made the mistake of believing them and my symptoms got exponentially worse until the DH appeared.

Lisa

dksart Apprentice

I used to have a serious migraine that lasted for almost three days once a month and then a few others whenever I was stressed or for no apparent reason. It started when I was 14 and lasted until I was 37.

I have been migraine free since going gluten-free.

Archived