Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

todzwife

Traveling/vacations With gluten-free Diet?

We will be going to Disneyland with the family. DD has not been diagnosed w/ celiac, but has a severe wheat allergy, so she's treated the same way.

I'd love to hear some ideas for gluten-free foods that travel well. We'll probably bring a lot with us and do some grocery shopping when we get there for things like cheese and lunch meat. I'll be taking a cooler for her as well.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

the anaheim/orange-county area has lots of gluten free restaurants, and gluten-free-friendly grocery stores (but don't stick to just the mainstream ones - mothers and wild oats have good options). disney has lots of options for you (they'll have gluten-free rolls in most of their restaurants ;) ). a hotel room with a kitchenette can help so that you don't have to eat out *all the time*, but google is your friend finding things in the mean time. ("gluten free orange county" "gluten free anaheim" will get you started :) )

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

The major grocery stores in Orange County do not carry much in the way specialty gluten free foods. You will find Kraft and Hormel products but no baked goods or gluten free cereal.

There is a WholeFoods in Tustin and a Henry's in Costa Mesa. Both are about a twenty minute drive without traffic from Disneyland. The same drive at rush hour is about 40 to 50 minutes. If you are flying into Orange County (a.k.a John Wayne or Santa Ana) and want to stop at one of these stores I would recommend you do it on your way from the airport to your hotel. Both stores are within 5 miles of the airport.

Have a great trip.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years