Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hopefulmama

Can Toddlers Have Rls Related To Gluten Intolerance?

We've been gluten-free for about one month. DD is almost 2.5. While her sleep has improved, we've noticed that the two times we think she was glutened by accident, she had night terrors again. Tonight she ate 2 bites of my husbands rice from Chinese takeout. It had a tiny bit of sauce on it, but barely any. He didn't think anything of it. (Although I know the soy sauce is a no-no.) Then this evening she had a really bad night terror that lasted about an hour. Any time she has a night terror, she kicks her legs like crazy almost the entire time. Tonight she kept saying that her legs hurt. RLS runs in the family. I guess my questions are: Have you known any toddlers or young children with RLS? Is it related to being glutened? It would make a lot of sense, but since I'm so new to this, I'm just not sure and don't know where to turn. Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We've been gluten-free for about one month. DD is almost 2.5. While her sleep has improved, we've noticed that the two times we think she was glutened by accident, she had night terrors again. Tonight she ate 2 bites of my husbands rice from Chinese takeout. It had a tiny bit of sauce on it, but barely any. He didn't think anything of it. (Although I know the soy sauce is a no-no.) Then this evening she had a really bad night terror that lasted about an hour. Any time she has a night terror, she kicks her legs like crazy almost the entire time. Tonight she kept saying that her legs hurt. RLS runs in the family. I guess my questions are: Have you known any toddlers or young children with RLS? Is it related to being glutened? It would make a lot of sense, but since I'm so new to this, I'm just not sure and don't know where to turn. Thank you!

There is another current thread on a forum here about "growing pains". I had growing pains at night as a kid, as did other posters. It could be from gluten, it's a possibility.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter