This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rapid Weight Loss

skinnyasparagus

skinnyasparagus Apprentice

Its been a while since I've gone completely gluten free and was last weighed at the doctor's office. Since then, I've noticed one or two pounds drop off but I thought I'd gain, especially since the issue is gaining not losing when going gluten-free; but, with me it seems to be the opposite. After what I thought was over indulging during my stay with my bf, I weighed myself the other day and I noticed that I had dropped three pounds within the span of a week...maybe more. I eat until I'm full, frequent snacks. I don't eat meat meat but I'm just now reintroducting fish into my diet from being a lacto-uovo veggie. I take a multi plus digestive enzymes and recently started a magnesium supplement. All are checked out to be gluten free. I'm pretty active I guess on most days but I don't exercise or anything like that.

I seek, from you well educated people, answers to two inquiries of mine:

1. Is it possible that whenever I get cross contaminated, my body is rejecting food? (My metabolism on my blood test was normal)

2. Are there any tips you have to share to help me gain some weight enough to get to a stablized level? (Are those nutritional shakes gluten-free?)

Hope to hear from y'all soon. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I guess before I can make any suggestions, it is important to know whether you're low body weight is due to low muscle or low fat, low bone mass, or even low water retention.

I suppose my first thing to do would be to look at the average daily intake of the various nutrients responsible for the "bulk" of body weight, and see if they are within normal range for your lifestyle.

Also, it may take some time for sufficient repair of the intestines to enable the nutrient absorption needed to start building the body mass back to normal. It took some time for that to happen for me - probably a few years gluten-free I think.

So, my questions are:

How long gluten-free? (I see from your signature it was 1/28/2008)

How much protein, fats, and water in an average day?

What supplements do you currently take?

I guess before I can make any suggestions, it is important to know whether you're low body weight is due to low muscle or low fat, low bone mass, or even low water retention.

I suppose my first thing to do would be to look at the average daily intake of the various nutrients responsible for the "bulk" of body weight, and see if they are within normal range for your lifestyle.

Also, it may take some time for sufficient repair of the intestines to enable the nutrient absorption needed to start building the body mass back to normal. It took some time for that to happen for me - probably a few years gluten-free I think.

So, my questions are:

How long gluten-free? (I see from your signature it was 1/28/2008)

How much protein, fats, and water in an average day?

What supplements do you currently take?

Well I'm not by any means muscular and I do have chunky areas so even if my body fat is low, it's still there. Bone mass? I wouldn't know where to tell you about that one..Uhm I'm 5'5" so my stature overall is pretty small. The normal weight range for me is said from 110 and up to 130 lbs. I'm 92 lbs now which scares the heck out of me. :(

I had a feeling someone was going to say that about time for my intestines to heal before absorption kicks in. It's hard since I don't live and can't live in an entire gluten free vicinity so cross-contamination will always occur in any way, shape, or form. Supplements, as I said, are a multivitamin from Whole Foods (certified gluten/wheat free), a combo supplement of Zinc, Magnesium, and Calcium, digestive enzymes, and I was taking a fiber pill but I'm stopping for a while since I seem to be over regular.

For water, I drink like a fish so I don't think that's a problem. I don't drink straight water but I flavor it and I drink tea. Only drink coffee once or twice a day. Protein I try to include in every meal at least and most of that comes from nuts and beans with the occasional soy and fish. Fats, as I said, I eat nuts and use oil when I cook and I do a combination of low fat and regular foods.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Well I'm not by any means muscular and I do have chunky areas so even if my body fat is low, it's still there. Bone mass? I wouldn't know where to tell you about that one..Uhm I'm 5'5" so my stature overall is pretty small. The normal weight range for me is said from 110 and up to 130 lbs. I'm 92 lbs now which scares the heck out of me. :(

OK, well I think you are correct in saying that you are underweight. Would you say your frame is average or narrow? To judge bone size, consider things like ring size, bracelet size, etc. Any part of the body which is supposed to be fairly bony.

I had a feeling someone was going to say that about time for my intestines to heal before absorption kicks in. It's hard since I don't live and can't live in an entire gluten free vicinity so cross-contamination will always occur in any way, shape, or form. Supplements, as I said, are a multivitamin from Whole Foods (certified gluten/wheat free), a combo supplement of Zinc, Magnesium, and Calcium, digestive enzymes, and I was taking a fiber pill but I'm stopping for a while since I seem to be over regular.

It does sound like you've got a decent range of supplements, so I cannot see any large holes in that picture. I'm going to figure the CC issue to be minor unless you're having gluten reactions or symptoms constantly.

For water, I drink like a fish so I don't think that's a problem. I don't drink straight water but I flavor it and I drink tea. Only drink coffee once or twice a day. Protein I try to include in every meal at least and most of that comes from nuts and beans with the occasional soy and fish. Fats, as I said, I eat nuts and use oil when I cook and I do a combination of low fat and regular foods.

Also sounds good. Though I do not know what impact the coffee is having. I know caffeine is a diuretic, thus can draw water and nutrients out of you. Personally, I drink enormous quantities of water, which I know isn't normal. But as of now, if I don't I get terribly thirsty. Salt seems to help a bit in retaining fluids, but obviously there's only so much of that which would be safe.

Protein sounds somewhat ok, but I'll ask about grains since you didn't mention it. Some are very good sources of protein, for instance t'eff, and amaranth.

I suppose at this point my best suggestion might be to add coconut oil to your daily intake of fats. Since coconut oil is about half Medium Chain Fatty Acids, it can be absorbed much easier than all other types of fat. This is because those MCFAs take a "shortcut" to absorption. I've found this to be very helpful. If you use any foods which are intentionally low fat, such as margarine spreads, mayo, etc, I'd lose those in favor of the their fatty counterparts where possible.

And yes, it can indeed take time, which I know all too well. It all depends on how much damage your gut has to repair, and the tools (nutrients) it is given to make those repairs. So I guess I'd suggest to keep a log of your weight, so you can see if it is slowing down or whatever.

rogihome Newbie
OK, well I think you are correct in saying that you are underweight. Would you say your frame is average or narrow? To judge bone size, consider things like ring size, bracelet size, etc. Any part of the body which is supposed to be fairly bony.

It does sound like you've got a decent range of supplements, so I cannot see any large holes in that picture. I'm going to figure the CC issue to be minor unless you're having gluten reactions or symptoms constantly.

Also sounds good. Though I do not know what impact the coffee is having. I know caffeine is a diuretic, thus can draw water and nutrients out of you. Personally, I drink enormous quantities of water, which I know isn't normal. But as of now, if I don't I get terribly thirsty. Salt seems to help a bit in retaining fluids, but obviously there's only so much of that which would be safe.

Protein sounds somewhat ok, but I'll ask about grains since you didn't mention it. Some are very good sources of protein, for instance t'eff, and amaranth.

I suppose at this point my best suggestion might be to add coconut oil to your daily intake of fats. Since coconut oil is about half Medium Chain Fatty Acids, it can be absorbed much easier than all other types of fat. This is because those MCFAs take a "shortcut" to absorption. I've found this to be very helpful. If you use any foods which are intentionally low fat, such as margarine spreads, mayo, etc, I'd lose those in favor of the their fatty counterparts where possible.

And yes, it can indeed take time, which I know all too well. It all depends on how much damage your gut has to repair, and the tools (nutrients) it is given to make those repairs. So I guess I'd suggest to keep a log of your weight, so you can see if it is slowing down or whatever.

rogihome Newbie

Have you ever been tested for diabetis??? Needing so much water is a sign. You really should get tested, and it does run side by side with celiacs.

Have you ever been tested for diabetis??? Needing so much water is a sign. You really should get tested, and it does run side by side with celiacs.

Totally thought of that too in the first place. Not only did I read that it was sorta common with celiacs but it's also in my family bloodline. Luckily I did get it tested and it came out negative.

The only thing that was bad in it, which I kinda expected, were extremely high liver enzymes - three times what they should be - and active hepatitis B. I read, however, liver inflammation is considered hep B.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived