Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bravie

Cross Contamination By My Own Pots/pans?

I am gluten free and the rest of my family is not. I have my own pots, pans, knives, and wooden spoons and cutting board. We wash all of the dishes together in the dishwasher. I hadn't really thought about it until now but could I possibly be getting contaminated by one of my pots? I bought a few new pots later in my diet. One of the pots is about 6 months old. I fry meat and veggies with it. The inside of the pot has started to peel recently, and I'm wondering if maybe that could be the problem. That maybe when dishes are placed in the washer, the gluteny dishes are not being cleaned properly before being placed in the dishwasher.

Could this be a possibility? I can't really afford to buy any new pots atm so this is really upsetting to me. Is cross contamination just as harmful as being glutened?

I have finally decided to just move out of here in the next couple of months, but i'm extremely worried and frustrated in the meantime...I'm just afraid of doing harm to my body, I'm afraid of dying from complications from this disease, even though i've been trying my hardest to be gluten-free/cf/sf for the past year. I am almost 100% symptom free at this point, but there is something that keeps making me bloat every few days now...Any suggestions and info would help out alot regarding the cross contamination matter :(

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is possible that cross contamination occurs because a damaged pot could well be taking on gluten from other dishes. Just wash that particular pot by hand.

It doesn't sound enough of an issue to cause you permanent damage. I very much doubt that you will end up dying of a terrible disease like cancer in the future because of living for two more months with possible cc, that is not even really making you sick.

Try not to worry, because worrying too much can cause health problems all by itself.

It could also be something else altogether, like another intolerance that is making you bloat.

Again, I think that unless you are regularly feeling quite bad, investigating the cause can probably wait until you live by yourself, as then it will be much easier to figure it out.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter