Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Constipation Help

this may be TMI but i need help. doctors seem to know 'nothing' about what is wrong with me.

my whooole life i have had issues with going to the bathroom. i probably go once a week. my diet is relatively clean (veggies, fruits, etc) so i dont know why.

wound up going to the doctor in august and asked why it hurt when i laid on my left hand side. always feel bloated, etc. he told me i was constipated and that i should take laxatives. did some bloodwork and came back that i had a gluten, wheat and egg allergy. i had an endoscopy and it came back negative for celiac.

i have been taking the laxatives now for a few months, while eliminating wheat/gluten at the same time and am feeling much, much better.

any ideas as to what is *really* wrong? i feel like no one knows - no allergists, GI's, no one!! when i do eat something that has gluten in it, i get itchy hives all over my legs.

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you still constipated? If you're feeling better overall but are still finding yourself constipated, it may be the constant use of the laxitives. The longer you use them, your body will build a dependancy and you will have a difficult time going without them or having to increase your dose over time because your body is going to need more and more...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

this may be TMI but i need help. doctors seem to know 'nothing' about what is wrong with me.

my whooole life i have had issues with going to the bathroom. i probably go once a week. my diet is relatively clean (veggies, fruits, etc) so i dont know why.

wound up going to the doctor in august and asked why it hurt when i laid on my left hand side. always feel bloated, etc. he told me i was constipated and that i should take laxatives. did some bloodwork and came back that i had a gluten, wheat and egg allergy. i had an endoscopy and it came back negative for celiac.

i have been taking the laxatives now for a few months, while eliminating wheat/gluten at the same time and am feeling much, much better.

Do you mean laxatives or fiber supplements?

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

laxatives

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Hi. If you're getting itchy hives when you ingest gluten, that may be dermatitis herpetiformis, which is a skin manifestation of Celiac. A biopsy near the rash would be able to tell you. You can have Celiac without the intestinal damage. Have you had any blood tests? I would look into this further, and be persistant for answers. As far as constipation...I've had it for years...we always thought it was just a familial trait, as most of my family suffers with it. Turns out for me, at least, it's Celiac. When I finally got sick enough Iwent the other way. Now I can't stop the big D! Good luck in your search for answers.

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE

Theresa

Join eNewsletter

Hi. If you're getting itchy hives when you ingest gluten, that may be dermatitis herpetiformis, which is a skin manifestation of Celiac. A biopsy near the rash would be able to tell you. You can have Celiac without the intestinal damage. Have you had any blood tests? I would look into this further, and be persistant for answers. As far as constipation...I've had it for years...we always thought it was just a familial trait, as most of my family suffers with it. Turns out for me, at least, it's Celiac. When I finally got sick enough Iwent the other way. Now I can't stop the big D! Good luck in your search for answers.

i feel like these doctors suck! (sorry but they do!)

my GI did an edoscopy which came back negative for celiac. he said my intestines look 'fine' and that it must be something else like an allergy causing hives.

so i went to an allergist - came back i was allergic to melons, apples, egg and thats it! not wheat! that came up in a blood test. (eggs and wheat). i was glutened *i think* by eating a rice krispie treat and a bag of jellly beans and i have hives all over my legs.

Join eNewsletter

Sounds just like me.

My hormone levels are off, allergy tests haven't come back yet, but what my dr did (she's a naturepath) was put me on magnesium to help me go to the bathroom regularly. I had to take stool softener so I didn't get all crampy at first, but speaking from experience, it's real hard on your body keeping in those toxins for a week. I am doing much better now!

Whole family is allergic to Gluten, eggs, dairy, most are allergic to garlic. Few other various allergies.

Did you know it's best to wait until 21 months to give a baby wheat??

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter