Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenlove

Glutened In Japan

After a little more than a week into my month long trip, I got wacked yesterday from of all things Hagen dass! Too busy to get to a restaurant, I stopped at the ampm mini mart for a salad -- They have great salads here even in these types of places. Got a little mini cup of hagen dass ( read mini as smaller than the old US dixi cups) plain chocolate.

About an hour after dinner i started to feel it. Salad was fine as I didnt use the soy sauce based dressing. Never have trouble with that ice cream in the US but turned out that its a different formulation here. I can read the ingredients although didnt when I bought and ate the ice cream. Sure enough, some type of hydrolized protein in it, not market with soy like so many are here. Stomach blown up to sumo size..

Moral is dont assume something you eat in one country is safe in another.

Ken

On my way to a friends sons wedding at the Tokyo Disneyland Hilton where I know I cant eat. Called to see if they could prepare a gluten-free meal and was asked if spagetti was ok!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Love the convenience stores there. Didn't take the time to figure out safe options last trip. What kind of dressing do you use on the salads? Hope you recover quickly and it doesn't spoil your trip too much. Take Care.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Usually I just use fresh citrus like Yuzu or kabosu as a dressing. Maybe some olive oil

if I cna get a tiny package.

The convenience stores are great. Family Mart is my favorite although the salads at AMPM are pretty good.

I'm sure i'll be ok if I dont eat for a day or two.

I am going to visit a few health food stores tomorrow and get a picture file of gluten-free goods that I can post on my site along with the goodies I found st the big food show last week.

take care

Love the convenience stores there. Didn't take the time to figure out safe options last trip. What kind of dressing do you use on the salads? Hope you recover quickly and it doesn't spoil your trip too much. Take Care.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter