Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tgrand

Helpful Tips?

Ok, so I have been gluten-free since Oct. Doing well on the diet, very motivated to NOT cheat. Found a great new doc in Jan who did blood work and determined that I have Iron, Vit B 12, Vit D deficiencies as well as osteopenia and Sjogren's Syndrome. Needless to say, due to my vitamin levels, I'm still dealing with fatigue sometimes. Thankfully, my doctor's office has a great (3 month) nutritional program and it's really helping me. When I do what I'm supposed to, as outlined in the plan (eat healthy and take vitamins), I feel great. I don't need to lose weight (only 112), just trying to heal my body nutritionally. Also trying to exercise at least 3 times a week due to my energy level and particularly b/c of my osteopenia (bone loss). Here's the deal. We have a 2 year old and I feel like all we do is cook and do dishes, housework and chores. I enjoy cooking and don't mind eating healthy, but by golly sometimes I just wish we could order a pizza last minute on a hectic day. I get tired of freezing meals, planning ahead and just "doing" everything. I look at our life and I don't really see where we can save time to relax and enjoy life more. Gotta eat healthy and have to eat at home mostly due to gluten issues and financial concerns. Am I the only one who gets overwhelmed with all the busyness of life now that the gluten free thing complicates the family diet? Yes life is hectic for everyone, but it's more so with this lovely "lifestyle". Does anyone have any great time saving tips for cooking or other chores for that matter? I hate doing, doing, doing around the house and then crashing at the end of the day too tired to spend time with my husband. I also want to spend more time with my daughter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not feeling like gluten-free is a death sentence or whatever. I just wish there wasn't so much work with the food and a toddler and general life stuff, ya know! Busy, busy, busy. I am a stay at home mom, by the way.

Last night I did not want to cook. We feed my daughter a mini pizza on gluten-free bread and then he and I had rotel dip with chips. Easy? Yes! Good for you? Absolutely not! I felt like I had a brick in my tummy last night and today I feel yucky. Just wanted to share my lazy no "cooking" story. :)

I guess I'm just having a day. Would appreciate any tips, suggestions, easy meal ideas, etc.

FYI - I really appreciate having everyone on here to "talk" to. I don't know any Celiacs locally, so I sometimes feel alone in it. Thankfully I have a super supportive non-Celiac husband.

Blessing to all!

TGrand

Dear TGrand: I have no suggestions for you, but I understand completely. My husband makes his own food and cleans up his own stuff - since he has other sensitivities he can't have even gluten-free prepared foods. He's always up to his elbows in cooking from scratch everyday (he hates leftover potatoes). And we can't have dishwasher in our little apartment, so all dishes have to be done by hand. My husand is always busy before and after dinner hour. So I can understand your desire to have a "no-cooking" day. He too talks about the "good ole days" of ordering pizza and eating out at the diner or just doing Burger King.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter