Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gymnastjlf

Bob's Red Mill

There's 2 packages of yeast, is that a mistake? In the Bob's Red Mill baking mixes, is there supposed to be one or two packages of yeast, and am I supposed to use both?

I don't usually buy the baking mixes because of the expense and I really don't want to flub this one up! I've been craving the stupid bread all week now!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There's 2 packages of yeast, is that a mistake? In the Bob's Red Mill baking mixes, is there supposed to be one or two packages of yeast, and am I supposed to use both?

I don't usually buy the baking mixes because of the expense and I really don't want to flub this one up! I've been craving the stupid bread all week now!

Hi Gymnastjlf,

If the mix just makes one loaf, then I'd suggest you use both packages of yeast. I know according to the book "The Gluten Free Diet: A comprehensive REsource Guide" by Shelley Case (dietician) under her suggestions for Baking Tips: Textures: it says that most gluten free breads often require more leavening than wheat flours due to the gluten which is necessary for forming dough with elasticity and enable the product to rise.

I once, goofed on my first prepared mix of rice bread, and added 2 tablespoons of yeast (had the wrong measuring spoon; haha :rolleyes: ). Then the next time I made it for my homemade pizzas, I used the amount they said which was 2 teaspoons. Anyhow, the first bread turned out way better than the 2nd. I think the extra yeast made the difference. :) Goofs help sometimes.

Enjoy the raisin bread (raisins have fiber and more iron: 6.6 grams per cup ) if you sprinkle in some ground flaxseed you'll get more fiber, plus essential fatty acids, and protein. Might as well make it a "good for you" treat too. :D

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

I think the 2 is an OOPS. Every time I have purchased the product there has only been 1 packet.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

I think it's a mistake. I've bought their regular plain mix many times before and there was always only one packet. I don't see why it would be different for the cinnamon one.

gluten-free since 9/30/09

positive gene test 8/11/09

endoscopy 9/30/09 (awaiting results)

Join eNewsletter

I think it's a mistake. I've bought their regular plain mix many times before and there was always only one packet. I don't see why it would be different for the cinnamon one.

I only used one of the packets, and I was left with a brick of bread. It did make edible bread pudding today though! Edible... note I did not say great!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter