Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Runner6

Still Getting Injured After 4 Years Of Being Gluten-free

I just signed up for this forum. I was reading some entries and liked the responses, so I thought I would give it a try. I was diagnosed with Celiac 4 years ago after having a serious stress fracture in my femoral neck that required surgery. I am a competitive runner, but I was doing only about 40 miles/week at the time, not enough to cause this fracture. Since then, I have had 5 more stress fractures in my femurs.. different places each time. My bone density is fine. My running mileage was always very low (less than 25 miles/week), but fairly high intensity. So I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems..? getting injured for years AFTER being diagnosed with Celiac?

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi. I guess I would take it easy for a while. I had run for a few years before celiac came along for me. My overall health improved when I stopped the gluten. I still was injured off and on, but mostly from odd things happening, not celiac-related.

I would check it out with a doctor, sports medicine person, or a physical therapist.

Life sucks when you are addicted to running and can't.

BillCorno

quote name='Runner6' date='Mar 22 2008, 09:53 PM' post='411330']

I just signed up for this forum. I was reading some entries and liked the responses, so I thought I would give it a try. I was diagnosed with Celiac 4 years ago after having a serious stress fracture in my femoral neck that required surgery. I am a competitive runner, but I was doing only about 40 miles/week at the time, not enough to cause this fracture. Since then, I have had 5 more stress fractures in my femurs.. different places each time. My bone density is fine. My running mileage was always very low (less than 25 miles/week), but fairly high intensity. So I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems..? getting injured for years AFTER being diagnosed with Celiac?

Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Thanks!

I know exactly how you feel. I stepped wrong last September(on my birthday no less!) and felt intense pain all throughout my right food. Couldn't walk, couldn't put weight on it--all my Xrays and MRI's were normal. It still hurts. I can walk on it but it hurts to run and weight train. I'm also low on vitamin D, my doc has me supplementing. So, I don't know what else to do, but I feel your pain and completely understand. It really bites not to run when you enjoy it so much. Have you had your vitamin D checked out?

Diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel/Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 01/06

Diagnosed with TMJ/07

Diagnosed with blood test to gluten, wheat and brewer's yeast delayed food allergy 01/08.

Gluten free since 01/08.

Diagnosed with Vitamin D insufficiency 01/08

Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel/Thoracic Outlet Syndrome repealed and attributed to gluten allergy 1/08

Diagnosed with Candida 03/25/08

Join eNewsletter

I'm a runner too and I've had about 10 stress fractures (over the course of about 18 years). I was just diagnosed with gluten sensitivity and my doc told me not to run for at least a month while we try to get my vitamin D, calcium and other health issues under control. I'm on serious vitamin D supplements (50,000 IU 3 X week). My doc said I should have more energy when I get stabilized. I'd get your vitamin D, calcium (24 hr urine test) and N-Teleopeptide ratio checked out. The N-Teleopeptide test will tell you the rate in which your bone cells are turning over. Maybe you have other food sensitivities that are inhibiting vitamin D or calcium absorption.

Join eNewsletter

I haven't been a running for some time now but I do play basketball a couple of times a week. Since being diagnosed last fall I have a hard time recovering the next day. I haven't had an injuries but after playing I don't sleep well due to discomfort and the next day I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I'm seeing a chiroprator and that seems to help. I also haven't been taking the proper vitamins so that may be an issue.

Good Luck!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter