This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hawaii The Big Island

Naradowski

Naradowski Rookie

We are going to Hawaii on the 18th of April and are staying at The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort.We are flying from So Carolina to Arizona and are staying there for 1 night and then on to Hawaii. I cannot take too many of my foods--they will either spoil are get crushed so I will need to buy food when I get to Hawaii. Are there any stores near by that carry gluten free foods?Can anyone advise me as to what I should pack to eat on the plane. The trip to Arizona won't be bad but I really do not know what to take to eat on the plane from Arizona to Hawaii. I would imagine that will be a long flight. We have never taken a trip this long since I have been Dx with Celiac's. I would appreciate any help. Judy in So. Carolina )

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf princess Newbie

I hope you have a great trip.

If you are going through phoenix, Az you should check out Lynn Rae's bakery Gluten-Free Creations.

Open Original Shared Link

She is the best gluten-free baker of all the things I've tried.

And if you have some time definately have some gluten free pizza at Pizza Picazzo. Be sure to ask for the gluten free menu, they have treats and other stuff on there as well. YUMMY

I've heard good things at Sweet Maries Hawaii, but I haven't been back to check it out yet.

Hope this helps some. Keep asking around, you will find someone else who has all the info. You are not alone.

kenlove Rising Star

Hi Judy,

We live in Kona about 2 hours south of where you'll be staying. Hope you'll have a car as there are not a lot of food stores around

Waikoloa Beach. There are some great restaurants that can prepare gluten-free meals given advance notice. There are health food stores and grocery stores in Kailua town, about an hour south of you. On the 19th if you drive South to the Keauhou Shopping Center I'll be set up at the famrers market from 7 to noon with a lot of unusual fruit and my wifes gluten-free breads. One of the better health food stores is there as well.

Kona Natural Foods 322-1800

closer to waikoloa is healthways ll in the Parker Rnch Shopping Center and downtown in the crossroads shopping center.

There is also a healthfood store in waikoloa village, the closest to you.

If you have any questions while here, feel free to call 323-2417

Ken

We are going to Hawaii on the 18th of April and are staying at The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort.We are flying from So Carolina to Arizona and are staying there for 1 night and then on to Hawaii. I cannot take too many of my foods--they will either spoil are get crushed so I will need to buy food when I get to Hawaii. Are there any stores near by that carry gluten free foods?Can anyone advise me as to what I should pack to eat on the plane. The trip to Arizona won't be bad but I really do not know what to take to eat on the plane from Arizona to Hawaii. I would imagine that will be a long flight. We have never taken a trip this long since I have been Dx with Celiac's. I would appreciate any help. Judy in So. Carolina )
Naradowski Rookie
I hope you have a great trip.

If you are going through phoenix, Az you should check out Lynn Rae's bakery Gluten-Free Creations.

She is the best gluten-free baker of all the things I've tried.

And if you have some time definately have some gluten free pizza at Pizza Picazzo. Be sure to ask for the gluten free menu, they have treats and other stuff on there as well. YUMMY

I've heard good things at Sweet Maries Hawaii, but I haven't been back to check it out yet.

Hope this helps some. Keep asking around, you will find someone else who has all the info. You are not alone.

Naradowski Rookie

Thank-you for the info. We will be staying near the Phoenix airport but I certainly will look up those web sites. I appreciate the help Judy in SC

Naradowski Rookie
Hi Judy,

We live in Kona about 2 hours south of where you'll be staying. Hope you'll have a car as there are not a lot of food stores around

Waikoloa Beach. There are some great restaurants that can prepare gluten-free meals given advance notice. There are health food stores and grocery stores in Kailua town, about an hour south of you. On the 19th if you drive South to the Keauhou Shopping Center I'll be set up at the famrers market from 7 to noon with a lot of unusual fruit and my wifes gluten-free breads. One of the better health food stores is there as well.

Kona Natural Foods 322-1800

closer to waikoloa is healthways ll in the Parker Rnch Shopping Center and downtown in the crossroads shopping center.

There is also a healthfood store in waikoloa village, the closest to you.

If you have any questions while here, feel free to call 323-2417

Ken

Naradowski Rookie

Thank-you for the info. We won't be in Hawaii until 2:30 on Sat.4/19. Maybe if you are there the following Sat we can try and get down your way. We leave at night that Sat. Thanks Judy in SC

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Hi Judy,

If you get down towards captain cook during the week, you can visit our coop and fruit park on napoopoo road.

If you need any other info, just let me know.

Have a great trip

Ken

Thank-you for the info. We won't be in Hawaii until 2:30 on Sat.4/19. Maybe if you are there the following Sat we can try and get down your way. We leave at night that Sat. Thanks Judy in SC
  • 1 year later...
PortlandGF Newbie

I'm heading to Kona on the next Sunday (4/18). We're staying in a condo on Ali'i drive. Are there any local restaurants that accommodate gluten-free? It's looking like we might be making our first trip to the Outback Steakhouse in Kona. It seems kind of sad to travel to a such a beautiful place and have to look for chain restaurants. I'll go to the health food store once we arrive, do the have nice produce?

kenlove Rising Star

Great new healthfood store called Island Naturals in the old industrial area. they remodeled the building and did a great job. Good selection of gluten-free products too although I think I bought out all their gluten-free granola last week.

Down town there is not much of a selection for restuarants although if your by royal kona resort the chefs Mikal Lamb and Zach can prepare gluten-free meals -- Manago in Captain cook will also fix me gluten-free meal/

Small lunch place called makalii catering does great salads. Its across the street from island naturals. Devin will make you just about anything. All the hotels up north do gluten-free meals when asked in advanace., They keep things around in case someone doesnt ask but when you give them notice they will make something special.

have fun in kona

I'm heading to Kona on the next Sunday (4/18). We're staying in a condo on Ali'i drive. Are there any local restaurants that accommodate gluten-free? It's looking like we might be making our first trip to the Outback Steakhouse in Kona. It seems kind of sad to travel to a such a beautiful place and have to look for chain restaurants. I'll go to the health food store once we arrive, do the have nice produce?
PortlandGF Newbie

Thank you! We plan on being out most days so we'll check out your recommendations.

Shayne

Archived