Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Octoberme

Lactose Intolerant.

Hello, I just recently ( 5 days ago ) started a gluten free diet and I feel GREAT. One thing I am wondering though is if my other allergy - lactose - could be mroe sensative when off gluten? Only asking because I had a really bad morning this morning, and someone said maybe it was from the mayo I had yesterday. " Before " going gluten free however I used to be able to have small amounts of mayo and be fine......

Could I be mroe sensative now? Also, is there a mayo that is easier for lactose intolerant people? I REALLY like my tuna on gluten free bread and of course it is dry and yucky without mayo or something.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

First of all, there is no lactose in mayonaise -- i just read the ingredients on my hellmans, just to make sure. There is eggs, tho, and there may be soy oil. Many people also have problems with eggs and soy.

Many people do find their other sensitivities become more obvious when they quit gluten - probably because your stomach was so inflamed already, either you didnt notice the other affects, or your stomach is actually managing to absorb more of the offending food than it could before.

You can look for vegan mayonaise to see if the eggs are what is bothering you.

The other thing to keep in mind, some people seem to find that, as their stomachs heal, they just have some bad days, where their stomach just reacts to nothing. So you might want to test the mayo again another day to see if that is really the problem.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Hello, I just recently ( 5 days ago ) started a gluten free diet and I feel GREAT. One thing I am wondering though is if my other allergy - lactose - could be mroe sensative when off gluten? Only asking because I had a really bad morning this morning, and someone said maybe it was from the mayo I had yesterday. " Before " going gluten free however I used to be able to have small amounts of mayo and be fine......

Make sure you have a milk free brand of mayo. Some brands have it some don't so double check.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

I found that I couldn't tolerate foods with eggs in after my digestion collapsed and I went gluten-free but after 2 months on the Specific Carb Diet and cutting out all the possible antagonists by just eating plain - good protein, meats, fish and poultry, fresh veg and fruits and a little honey and well-fermented yogurt, my gut has really started to heal and I can now tolerate some of those foods that i couldn't cope with a few weeks ago, like eggs and baking powder.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

I found that I couldn't tolerate foods with eggs in after my digestion collapsed and I went gluten-free but after 2 months on the Specific Carb Diet and cutting out all the possible antagonists by just eating plain - good protein, meats, fish and poultry, fresh veg and fruits and a little honey and well-fermented yogurt, my gut has really started to heal and I can now tolerate some of those foods that i couldn't cope with a few weeks ago, like eggs and baking powder.

What is the Specific Carb diet? I have psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and have now discovered I am a coeliac. My psoriatic arthritis is greatly improved on a gluten-free diet but there is no change in my psoriasis. Could I have other intolerances? I have noticed a lot of gluten free products contain corn. Also I have cut out dairy products and take soya instead and I feel much better but again there is no change with my skin. I would love to get it cleared up.